Aintree Hurdle

Yep really is. All the cliches can be used but he is not riding with Mullins for no reason. Not yet 20

I cannot remember a jockey so close to top class at a young age like Townend. Great to see Mullins giving him these sort of chances so early...the guy is going to a Champion.

But also good to see Davy Russell winning a big one over here - we don't see much of him

very good race.

Champion Hdl looks a poor edition

Townend top class

Solwhit improving fast, nice horse

Fiveforthree another to follow

Al Eile, a little dissapotingn, maybe the rain and especially age catching him.

Sportinglife:
Solwhit edged out Fiveforthree in a thrilling finish to the John Smith's Aintree Hurdle in the hands of Davy Russell.
Fiveforthree looked the likely winner after he cruised to the front approaching the final flight and jumped the obstacle fluently.
However, Solwhit (6-1) began to reel him in inside the final 100 yards and got on top close home to take the Grade One prize by half a length.
Favourite Al Eile travelled very strongly in search of his fourth success in the race but weakened out of it in the straight to finish a well-held fourth.
Boylesports cut the winner to 12/1 for next year's Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle while Sky Bet introduced him at 14/1.
Champion Hurdle runner-up Celestial Halo ran as though he had left his race behind at Cheltenham, failing to land any sort of blow when push came to shove.
Lucy Wadham's mare United ran a mighty race to fill the places, but others to disappoint included Jered and Catch Me.
Russell said: "At home on heavy ground (in Ireland) he handles it but he never really grabs hold of the bit.
"When I spoke to Charles beforehand I said if he's travelling well I'll have to bring him back a bit.
"I jumped off well, was sat on the bit and winged every hurdle bar the last down the back.
"He travelled into the straight, picked up and kept on after the last.
"We were hopeful more than confident."
Byrnes said: "He's a great horse. We didn't want to put him in at two miles at Cheltenham at this stage of his career as he is only five and this was the obvious place.
"Two miles or two and a half is no bother for him. We'll probably go to Punchestown but I think he could be competitive on the Flat as well."
Willie Mullins said of Fiveforthree: "It was a fantastic race from two out, our fella lost a hind shoe but that is no excuse, the winner is a fair horse.
"I was very happy with him and we'll go to Punchestown for the stayers' hurdle now and all being well he will have a novice chasing campaign next season."

With the yard having Serpentaria for the mares race at Punchestown perhaps Quevega will go for the big 2 mile hurdle at Punchestown?

Last edited:
Back