Al Kazeem

Love the horse but it's a huge ask for the horse to be competitive in top races after hanging out the back end of mares for six months

His fertility issues have been such common kowledge I'm surprised it's taken this long to be officially announced! He was teetering on the edge of the thirty percent of mare in foal required to be fertile for insurance purposes for ages. Deer bought him back from the insurance company after they paid out to the syndicate.

Didn't you send a mare to Al Kazeem, Miesque? Was she one of the 30 per cent-ers or did you then send her to another stallion?

Mastercraftsman - nice. But obviously a much later foaling date than you had planned for your mare.

Re Al Kazeem's return: I wonder what the record of failed stallions returning to race is. Obviously Kingsgate Native has done and continues to do well, but of course he's been gelded. George Washington showed good form on his return although failing to win - but of course he always was an enigmatic one. Al Kazeem a very solid horse - good luck to him. I'd guess they'd try again with him next year???

Check out Starspangled thread Nefertiti.
A couple of additions include
Radetsky, trained by Clive Brittain returned to win Queen Anne Stakes in 1978 after being a jaffa at stud.
Malacate I am sure had fertility issues 1977 after being retired to Airlie Stud and returned to win a group race in France.
Acamas 79 French Derby winner returned to run as an 8 year old.
Prince De Galles had the distinction of running in a race that was won by one of his progeny.! He was pulled up himself.
Tamarisk was another Roger Charlton had returned though he did not win again.

Last edited:
It's not hard as you might think, although it very much depends on the horse's temperament and whether he's become a bit cresty.

Seabiscuit and Carry Back performed the same trick, both coming back to win races that would be now classified as Group 1s.

Reckless Abandon will be interesting on his return too.

From RC's page

Reckless Abandon- At 2 he was the winner of the Norfolk Stakes (G2) at Royal Ascot, Prix Morny (G1) and the Middle Park (G1). He was bought into by Darley at the end of his 2yo season, and continued to race for Clive Cox at 3. Its never easy for 3 year old sprinters, and Reckless Abandon is not overly big, but he raced with great credit to be 3rd in the Temple Stakes (G2), and 5th in both the Golden Jubilee (G1) and the Prix De L’Abbaye (G1). Retired to stud at the end of his 3yo career, he was sadly sub fertile. He has now been in Charlie Appleby’s Moulton Paddock yard for 1 week.

Back