All The Good wins the Caulfield Cup for Godolphin

Grand Armee

At the Start
Great win by All The Good, a 6yo stallion, an imported son of Diesis.

He was an impressive looking animal in the yard, and just on looks alone would have been worth backing.

The Godolphin horse just breezed away with this year's edition of the $2.5 million Caulfield Cup.

I guess the message is loud and clear, the Europeans are the ones to beat in 2008 as the quality and depth in Australia can only be described as one word: pathetic. Aidan O'Brien will have 3 outstanding chances, Septimus, Alessandro Valta and Honolulu in the Melbourne Cup.

Here is a horse that has improved since going to Godolphin.

According to the RP Mad Rush was unlucky in fourth. Both he and the winner are intended runners in the Melbourne Cup. What sort of penalty might All The Good be given?

Surprising to see godolphin winning this and some american gr1 s seeing thow they are doing in Europe this season.

McEvoy, simply top class, whata ride.

Mad Rush, really good run and the one to beat in the Melbourne Cup.

Sorry I missed that, hope we get lots of re-runs.
I'm happy for them and esp for McEvoy, a very good jockey and a thoroughly decent person too

The winner of the Caulfield Cup is usually penalised 2 kilograms for their win. He had to carry 54.5 kilograms today, so will probably be asked to carry 56.5 kilograms on the first Tuesday in November. If he gets a good barrier, and a clear run to be allowed to just to stretch out and gallop freely like he did today he will fly. The beauty of Flemington is it will really suit the European horses, because it is a big open track with galloping room.

The runs for mine were from the runner up, Nom De Jeu who was rattling home for 2nd and Mad Rush in 4th. Nom Deu Jeu won the Group 1 AJC Derby in April of this year over 2400m, and was coming into the race under an injury cloud. Apparently he "suffered" from travel sickness when he got here earlier in the week. So the horse was lucky to even make it to race day, let alone run 2nd.
Nom De Jeu is bred to win a Melbourne Cup being by Montjeu out of Group 1 Brisbane Cup (2 miles) winner Prized Gem, who herself ran in the 2002 Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. He is yet to be tried at the distance, but on breeding he should easily get it.

Mad Rush was closing late, and after watching the replay it was glimpses of 2006 Melbourne Cup winner Delta Blues all over again. The Japanese horse was the horse finishing off late, doing his best work in the final 50 metres of the race of that year, which is exactly what Mad Rush did today.

Very exciting times ahead, because the next two weekends (and week day meeting) will determine the final starting order. A lot of trainers will be back to the drawing board to map out which race to use to qualify their horse in. I can see the likes of the Moonee Valley Cup and Geelong Cup being jam packed with noms. The latter race now an extremely popular choice because I believe the winner is now automatically exempt from the starting ballot.

Sad to see that the winner of Listed Tatts Cup over 12 furlongs in Sydney today, Lorne Dancer is now probably out of contention for the Melbourne Cup. The horse pulled up lame after easily winning by over 3 lengths to Brave Lancer (2nd) and Detroit Song (3rd).

Pics

AllTheGood.jpg

All The Good - photo courtesy of Steve Hart

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprising to see godolphin winning this and some american gr1 s seeing thow they are doing in Europe this season.

McEvoy, simply top class, whata ride.

Mad Rush, really good run and the one to beat in the Melbourne Cup.
A lot of their US success is down to Music Note who afaik hasn't been in Newmarket or Dubai for somewhile ie. she's as far away from Bin Suroor as possible.

Statistically this is a better year than last year for Godolphin.

It was a very strong edition of the Caulfield Cup with 11 of the 17 starters Group 1 winners. All The Good was quite dominant and impressive. Nom Du Jeu, Mad Rush and Ice Chariot (last home turn and finished hard for a close 8th) were the runs for the Melbourne Cup.

It is hard to see an Australian trained winner of the Cup this year. Efficient and Ice Chariot would appear the best hopes. More then likely it will be a Kiwi or Euro winner.

Many thanks for the pic GA. I did see a re-run on atr, and I've never seen Kerrin McE so pumped up after a win! - it must have meant a helluva lot to him, ie not just doing it but doing it for and with Godolphin. He's a great team player

There are some great pictures of this horse. I have to say personally, he is just an absolute gem of an animal. Probably the most photogenic animal I have seen since Lonhro. One of the girl's in the syndicate that I know that had a runner in the Caulfield Cup, said the two European horses were stunning, and the best presented in the yard.

svLOCALS_wideweb__470x366,0.jpg

All The Good and strapper Muhammad Rashid after the 6yo entire's gallant victory in the Caulfield Cup. Photo is courtesy of Vince Caligiuri of The Age Newspaper in Melbourne.

svALLTHEWAY_wideweb__470x441,0.jpg

All The Good shoots to the lead. Horse in blue/yellow with black blinkers is the runner up, Nom De Jeu who was flying home for 2nd. Horse in maroon is the other import, Mad Rush. Photo courtesy of John Donegan of The Age Newspaper in Melbourne.

camDCooper_wideweb__470x296,0.jpg

All The Good this morning eating hay out of his Caulfield Cup with Diana Cooper and Terry Cook. Photo courtesy of John Donegan of the Age Newspaper in Melbourne.

Great to see him win and good for Godolphin to improve a horse they acquire; slightly reminiscent of the days of Swain, Daylami and Fantastic Light.

I see Mad Rush is now joint favourite with Septimus at 5/1..

Back