Amateur Jockey Required

On The Bridle

At the Start
Thinking of entering a horse in Qualified Riders flat race over 7f on the beach at Laytown. Who would the forum recommend ? Weight shouldn't be an issue as he will be carrying about 11st 8lb before any claim.

Cantoris will recommend Mikey Fogarty ;)

Ability - Codd, Doc, O'Neill, Carberry

Looks - Aine O'Connor :) (though likely need plenty of lead)

Very few of the amateurs would have much experience of going over a trip as short as 7f, so I'd be looking at one of the riders who's come through the pony racing circuit. I'm not sure who that rules in or out, but I think Mr P W Mullins is one.

He's on good horses, but as the trainer's son he's there to be fired at and you don't hear much groaning about him. As well as a very good strike rate he also rides a lot more 1sts than 2nds and 2nds than 3rds, which I think is a potential indicator of a jockey who is effective in a finish.

For God's sake, OTB: Trudi will ride for you, of course! How on earth could you have forsaken the fair maiden so quickly?

That, or I'll go on a fast and will be down to weight by Christmas for you...

Good point regarding the trip Grey - last years renewal was won by Andy Duff who is recommended by Trackside (if you book him OTB ask him how he got Mount Benbulben beat at Down Royal please when I was on at 33's), 2nd was Patrick Mullins, 3rd Pauline Ryan and Katie Walsh in a dead heat. Other big names to ride in the race were Nina Carberry, Robbie McNamara, Jamie Codd, Mikey Fogarty and Richie Harding.

2009 - Andy Duff won again beating Patrick Mullins with Jamie Codd on the 3rd and Ross O'Sullivan the 4th. In the other QR riders race at the meeting Mr D W Cullen beat Nina Carberry and Patrick Mullins, Duff rode the 4th.

2008 - Nina Carberry won the conditions for QR's on the card beating Andy Duff and Brian O'Connell. The 7f QR handicap race was won by Nina Carberry beating Patrick Mullins and Andy Duff.

2007 - QR race went to Katie Walsh, beating Nina Carberry and Brian O'Connell. Duff was 5th on a 12/1 chance. The handicap went to Derek O'Connor beating Duff into 2nd.

I'm far from being an expert on 7f QR races at Laytown but there are three names that keep cropping up - Duff, Carberry and Mullins. I'd hazard any of those would do the job for you, though prefarbly Duff ;)

Lads unless the horse has a form chance he might not have the pick of those jockeys!

A friend of mine has a horse like that OTB - unfortunately he's not been ridden properly in any of his 11 starts to date ;)

Duff has a serious record in the race - Mickey Fogarty's agent / lover / biggest fan has been on already!!! If he gets in either of those would be fine!! I would like to meet Katie Walsh though!! :whistle:

Mickey Fogarty's agent / lover / biggest fan has been on already!!!

I'll even reduce my commission for a friend!!

Seriously guys, if the horse is good enough, the top bunch of amateurs are good enough. They are streets ahead of the others. Problem is, most of the decent amateurs are likely to be riding in this race. I'd second Duffer as a decent jock. He doesn't always engage his brain, but when he does, he's good. He rode Nolan's Old Vic mare to win the big bumper at Fairyhouse in the spring. Gave it a great ride and I think he's riding with confidence at the mo.

Completely slipped my mind that Duff will in all likelihood be required by Lyons.

Largely agree with Cantoris in any case, though I would add that you could do far worse than JP McKeown in this sort of contest.

When I asked a similar question last season OTB I came up with Michael Fogarty. Thanks to many on here. He rode a superb race for me and gave me my first winner at Cheltenham. I remember the officials there saying to me after the race,Who is this guy?We have never seen him before but we like him

When I asked a similar question last season OTB I came up with Michael Fogarty. Thanks to many on here. He rode a superb race for me and gave me my first winner at Cheltenham. I remember the officials there saying to me after the race,Who is this guy?We have never seen him before but we like him

Mikey is by now very well regarded in Ireland, and deservedly so. I couldn't think of anyone better to introduce a horse to the track or to get one jumping, and he gave our Raise The Beat a lovely ride when they won at Naas. I don't know how well his quiet style would suit the demands of a 7f race on the strand at Laytown, it depends in part on the horse as well.

Back