Amy Winehouse

Not really sure what is sad about it. She had more opportunities than the vast majority of the population, yet chose to throw it all away.

I realise this is how we are all conditioned, but if you want to focus on something sad, I would look towards Norway or Somalia.

Going off on a tangent Hamm but I know a bloke slightly younger then me who got roughly 100 grand in redundancy earlier this year.He was alway a drinker and(absolutely clueless)gambler.Anyway he dropped ten grand at Royal Ascot and a lot more throughout the year.I feel sorry for him but all the women in my life have absolutely no sympathy.
I always remember a battle hardened veteran of gambling,drinking and womanizing who I went to Aintree with saying that there will come the day when you fuck up badly and you will need help from someone.Against that personal responsibility has to come into it.

I can't help posting that I couldn't give a fuck that she's dead. I've noticed that the news coverage that I had forced on me are referring to her albums as legendary. The same journalists that are spouting that shite were writing articles about her antics a few months ago.

Her second album is a classic though. My sadness is seeing someone as talented as Amy dead in a world where Jon Bon Jovi will probably live till he's 80. The ****.

I know very little about Amy Winehouse but there seem to be a couple of very harsh posts above.

Whatever the circumstances the death of anyone at the age of 27 surely must have a touch of sadness about it.

Gearoid, nothing very new about critics changing their tune when an 'artist' dies.

Going off on a tangent Hamm but I know a bloke slightly younger then me who got roughly 100 grand in redundancy earlier this year.He was alway a drinker and(absolutely clueless)gambler.Anyway he dropped ten grand at Royal Ascot and a lot more throughout the year.I feel sorry for him but all the women in my life have absolutely no sympathy.
I always remember a battle hardened veteran of gambling,drinking and womanizing who I went to Aintree with saying that there will come the day when you fuck up badly and you will need help from someone.Against that personal responsibility has to come into it.

That's a fair point, especially the part about how we all f up.

I just think it, on a public scale, massively needs to be put into context - FFS, it's above the Somalia and on a par with Norway on the BBC site!

For me, it's an extension of the importance given to celebrity culture in the UK, and is a real shame.

In any newspaper or media outlet anywhere in the world the young death of a famous national will always be news above famine in africa. I dont have a problem with that. If somalia wasnt reported at all, that would not be good, but it is.

euro is right that her second album was a classic (the first certainly wasnt) and shes one of very very few contempory artists who made me look up. She captured the loose swinging new orleans jazz sound brilliantly and he delivery was quite arresting. Very much like her hero Billie Holliday (other parallels too of course), she really made you stop and listen. A seriously rare talent

A genuine tragedy

Of course what is going on Somalia and what happened in Norway are appalling tragedies - doesn't make the loss of a great talent as Amy Winehouse undoubtedly was to the forces of self-destruction any less sad.

Back to Black is one of the great albums of the last ten years.

I know very little about Amy Winehouse but there seem to be a couple of very harsh posts above.

A family went to Killarney last week on their summer holiday. Their 5yo boy drowned in the pool with 2 lifeguards on duty. The parents returned home without their son. That is a tragedy. Some stupid **** full of coke and alcohol wasting away her life gets no sympathy from me.

Very sad really about young Amy. I just know that one day I'll wake up to the news that she's been found dead over night. Saw that programme on her recently (I rarely watch tele) but found it to be a very sympathetic portrayal and one that was just laced with a sense of self-fulfilling ineviatable tragedy waiting to happen. I was actually struck by the fact that I thought she remained a fundamentally decent and talented individually who can't cope and has something of a self-destruct streak in her. Found it all rather sad really, as I don't believe this is a particularly unpleasent person deep down, but just someone whose too easily led and becomes hopelessly devoted to what ever turned her head last.

Not sure what appraisel I should give this post, but reading it is a nice way to reminisce on her short life. RIP Amy Whinehouse

Last edited:
A family went to Killarney last week on their summer holiday. Their 5yo boy drowned in the pool with 2 lifeguards on duty. The parents returned home without their son. That is a tragedy. Some stupid **** full of coke and alcohol wasting away her life gets no sympathy from me.

Exactly.

The use of the word tragedy here is little short of appalling.

I have symapthy for anyone who goes through difficult times, and any loss of life is by definition very sad. However, when you consider all of the actual tragedies in the world that people are powerless to prevent, this, to me, is at the bottom of the scale.

Exactly.

I have symapthy for anyone who goes through difficult times, and any loss of life is by definition very sad. However, when you consider all of the actual tragedies in the world that people are powerless to prevent, this, to me, is at the bottom of the scale.

How many of us on here have or had demons with drink and drugs? Do we get time out of the office for rehabilitation? No we get sacked because we live in the real world.

I haven't had a drink in 7 months-was a really enthusiastic drinker ten years ago -loved my weekends on the beer-strangely enough in some of the pubs that Amy Winehouse drank in recently around Camden Town.Anyway it suits me to be off the drink as the hangovers were getting more severe with less and less drink and at the age of 41 I decided to get conscientious about work.
As someone who had over 40000 Betfair commission points at one stage last year I wouldn't be in a position to lecture anyone about excess.

It's got nothing to do with excess. My friend lost his job recently due to drink. He gets labelled an alcoholic. A celebrity does it and she get labelled as troubled and in need of help.

Exactly.

I have symapthy for anyone who goes through difficult times, and any loss of life is by definition very sad. However, when you consider all of the actual tragedies in the world that people are powerless to prevent, this, to me, is at the bottom of the scale.[/QUOTE

What contemptible pious nonsense . :mad:

The death of a talented young woman at 27 because she could not overcome a drug addiction is a tragedy . The idea it is less so because it was a result of her lifestyle is repulsive in the extreme . Let he who is without sin cast the first stone .

It's got nothing to do with excess. My friend lost his job recently due to drink. He gets labelled an alcoholic. A celebrity does it and she get labelled as troubled and in need of help.

No - your friend is also troubled and in need of help .

I think the saddest part of her death is that we were all able to see it 3 years ago. Now we have woken up and that one day has happened, and she had been found dead, just 27.

I just find it tragic that someone aged 27, who was possibly the most talented artist in the world has met with such circumstances, despite having access to some of the best facilities in the world. At the end of the day, she must have been a very depressed and lost soul, who's addictions sadly got the better of her. For that I do feel extremely sorry for her.

I think the saddest part of her death is that we were all able to see it 3 years ago. Now we have woken up and that one day has happened, and she had been found dead, just 27.

I just find it tragic that someone aged 27, who was possibly the most talented artist in the world has met with such circumstances, despite having access to some of the best facilities in the world. At the end of the day, she must have been a very depressed and lost soul, who's addictions sadly got the better of her. For that I do feel extremely sorry for her.

What percentage of people in the Uk suffer depression. Why should we feel anything for this tramp?

Exactly.

I have symapthy for anyone who goes through difficult times, and any loss of life is by definition very sad. However, when you consider all of the actual tragedies in the world that people are powerless to prevent, this, to me, is at the bottom of the scale.[/QUOTE

What contemptible pious nonsense . :mad:

The death of a talented young woman at 27 because she could not overcome a drug addiction is a tragedy . The idea it is less so because it was a result of her lifestyle is repulsive in the extreme . Let he who is without sin cast the first stone .

It unfortunately seems you are clueless across forums.

Where have I taken a moral high ground (let he who is without sin cast the first stone)? I haven't - there are many many people with problems much worse than hers, who haven't had the opportunities to have a better life, or to improve their situations - she had, and that is my point - this is far from a tragedy. There are many tragedies everyday - and you don't need to look abroad. Look at the homeless. Look at those who have lost someone in a war. Look at those depressed with no hope or possibility of help. Look at those many who die of cancer. Children who die of Leukemia. Look at Gearoid's example of the family holiday in Kerry. To compare any of that with this is bordering on insane.

I realise the UK is a fucked up society in terms of its celebrity culture and with many 'feeling' the loss of someone they somehow think they knew, but the only tragedy here is that this is front page news, and not real, but less newsworthy, tragedies.

That post is patronising in the extreme. You are lecturing like a 3rd former who has just joined oxfam.

I also want to know why this would be reported any differently elsewhere?

oh here we go

http://www.lemonde.fr/

Top story in the leading paper in celebrity obsessed fucked up France

Last edited:
That post is patronising in the extreme. You are lecturing like a 3rd former who has just joined oxfam.

I also want to know why this would be reported any differently elsewhere?

oh here we go

http://www.lemonde.fr/

Top story in the leading paper in celebrity obsessed fucked up France

Eh, no.

If you are comparing Britain and France in terms of celebrity fucked up obsessions, I would have to assume you have never been to France, never read a French newspaper, or are unaware there is no tabloid culture a la Britain? I doubt this is the case so your comment makes no sense. The reason the tabloids survive, and thrive in the UK, is because there is an insatiable need for tittle tattle about celebrity's lives - this does not exist in France.

Again, if a person labels this a tragedy, I believe they need to realise, and quite quickly, that they are not part of the celebrity's life. It is delusional in the extreme, with what is going in the world (I would suggest the oxfam comment is the patronising one), to suggest this is in any way a tragedy.

I really think before posting again you and others get some perspective.

Back