Any Graduates Looking For Placments Within The

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
A lot of personnel (sorry we call them human resources these days) departments are basically on the lazy side when it comes to compiling a job description.

A large company I was associated with had an agreement with the unions since the early 1970's that the entry qualifications for a particular classification of job was a few "D"'s at leaving cert level. They were recruiting before the current boom period when good jobs were not that easy to come by. It was an (eventually) well paid job which required not a great deal of particular upfront skill.

To cut a long story short, open days were arranged, Surnames A-F one day etc. The net result was a queue from O'Connell Bridge to the Gresham Hotel (half a mile?) with HR people walking down the road with megaphones telling people to go home if they hadn't got a degree.

Originally posted by Warbler+Feb 19 2008, 10:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warbler @ Feb 19 2008, 10:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Epona@Feb 18 2008, 06:23 PM
I had a BSc in human geography (a first)
Past tense? Have they stripped you of it??

I'm slightly surprised it wasn't a BA, but I suppose it's one of those subjects that can fall into either camp depending on the predominant content of the course, and the route you take through it. [/b][/quote]
I've still got it but now I also have an MSc in research methods so it has served its purpose!
Human geography is a bit of a funny one - at one end of the scale you have people working from a quantitative perspective, measuring spatial segregation in cities for example, then at the other end work draws heavily on philosophy, sociology and so on. Very inter-disciplinary which I like as I can fit it to my interests :)

Back