Anyone Read Any Decent Books Lately?

Shadow Leader

At the Start
I've read a few good books lately, some of the best being "Want To Play?" by PJ Tracy, "Nobody True" by James Herbert & "The Wishing Game" by Patrick Redmond. "The Timewaster Letters" are pretty amusing too, they're so pointless they raise a smile! I'm looking forward to "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke but I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback as it's too bloody big as a hardback! I'm also very much looking forward to getting my hansds on "The Virgin's Lover" by Phillipa Gregory, I loved "The Other Boleyn Girl" & "The Queen's Fool". If you like historical biographies, "Elizabeth & Mary" by Jane Dunn is very good too, it examines the relationship between Elizabeth I & Mary, Queen of Scots.

Trudged through The Bourne Trilogy by Robert Ludlum - that was a lot of words - and I can't say that it was exceptional.

It made me revert to a classic in John Le Carré's - The Russia House, which disappointingly seemed a bit unsubstantial in comparison to even one of the Ludlum tales.

Not sure what I fancy next now.

I thought that the stories were excellent, but it was my first experience of Ludlum and I am not sure that I am fond of his style. By the end of the third story I was getting pretty sick of the endless descriptions of Bourne's self doubt. I acknowledge that this was a huge part of what make Bourne tick, I just found that it bogged down the plots somewhat.

I actually watched the Bourne Identity on DVD earlier today and it was very strange how far the plot differed from the book. It is the same with the Bourne Supremacy film if you have seen that.

Le Carrre's Smiley books were superb.As were the Tinker,Tailor stories on BBC2 many years ago.

HIDDEN AGENDAS by JOHN PILGER

Lots of DENNIS WHEATLEY

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain
- and most fools do. -- Dale Carnegie

I'm reading "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke, it's been pretty good so far, not that I've made much of a dent in it, the book is really quite long! It's written in an old fashioned style, so if you like stuff like the Dickens classics I'd imagine you'd like this too.

I'm working my way through all of Richard Matheson's novels - currently on Somewhere In Time. Half of them seem to be bloody near impossible to get hold of though.

I am currently reading The Basketball Diaries and The Satanic Verses. Both are very good.

No - I only read indecent books. Although I must say I enjoyed the Canterbury Tales in Latin and Beowulf in Old German very much.

I've read about half of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and it is getting better & better. It started off a little slowly but it soons gets into its stride. It really is beautifully written & is some piece of work for a debut novel. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I was forced to watch several hours of television recently. I could almost feel my brain rotting as I lay there in a TV induced stupor.

I re-read A Study In Scarlet (Conan Doyle) recently and was much taken by it (again).

Originally posted by simmo+Jan 12 2005, 03:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (simmo @ Jan 12 2005, 03:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Irish Stamp@Jan 12 2005, 03:19 PM
Politics UK
Urban Geography: The Global Perspective
Utopia On Trial: vision and reality in planned housing.
Where's that tv remote gone to? :huh: [/b][/quote]
I had an assignment i needed them for. The remote will be found soon, hopefully in time to see Hollyoaks and the gal i went to school with :)

Originally posted by simmo@Jan 12 2005, 03:49 PM
At the risk of sounding extremely sarcastic Martin. I didn't think you were reading them for general pleasure. :P
Too right i wasn't, found myself disagreeing with a lot that was said, :lol:

Back