Anyone Read Any Decent Books Lately?

Gearoid uses Politics UK, Urban Geography, The Global Perspective and Utopia On Trial: vision and reality in planned housing as an aid to masturbation.

Read - 'Lies and the Lying Liars that tell them' by Al Franken on a plane yesterday. (3 hours on tarmac in Paris - Heathrow closed) - very biased - very funny!

Interesting book that An, you should try anything by Noam Chomsky if you enjoyed Franken.

I also recently read Mark Ronsons "Men Who Stare at Goats", which is a fascinating insight into some the ideas of some high ranking officers in the US army.

I finished "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" & it was fantastic - I really would recommend it, it is beautifully written.

Since then I have read "The Virgin's Lover" by Philippa Gregory which was quite good, & I am now reading Steven Pressfield's "Alexander, The Virtues of War" which is good so far.

The American Boy by Andrew Taylor ( a modern Victorian thriller with as a character the young Edgar Allen Poe )
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon ( a good yarn set in Barcelona mid 40s but a bit predictable)
The Count of Monte Cristo - you need a holiday to read 1200 pages of Dumas - couldn't put it down
Saturday by Ian McEwan - what a great novelist he is

I keep meaning to read Atonement by him but it never seems to get to the top of the "to read" pile.

PDJ bless him B)

SL yes - same guy . Not read any of those yet . This was an impulse buy at Stansted Airport - excellent .

well they are written for under 11s- can I recommend Stig of the Dump next :lol:

PS I read The Lion , the Witch and the Wardrobe again recently before giving it to my god-daughter - it is brill

The Chronicles of Narnia are fantastic.....

Seriously James, I cannot recommend the Roth Trilogy highly enough - I have them in one volume if you want to borrow them!!

I loved that book - it is the best description of what it feels like to be about 8 or 9 ever

:o :o

I'll have you know was very precocious as a child!!! I had read all of Enid Blyton's books by the age of 8, & the headmaster at my primary school told my parents it was unantural for a child of that age (8) to spend most of their time reading books about the Ancient Greek myths & legends!!! (mind you, he was put away for kiddy fiddling a couple of yesra gao...I knew he was a perv!! :blink: ) I had also read Riders & Rivals by the age of 12, & Flowers in the Attic by the age of 10!!!!!! :lol:

Actually, my favourite books as a very small child (about 5 or 6) were the ones used as educational books, they were about a boy with a black cat who was magic & who used to turn up on a broomstick at his bedroom window; together they would go on journeys throuigh magic worlds battling witches & the like - in one of the books they battled against a moor full of piles of stones that turned into giants - can anyone remeber what the books were called?

I was more into the "Adventure" books - the Iland of Adventure, Valley of Adventure et al. You'd have to go a long way to beat the Magic Faraway Tree too!!!!

Back