Anyone remember Hi Fi?

check out the DR of these..and then keep clicking the pages forward..99% are 20XX

seriously poor to say we have developed equipment to its current level to play music and make it sound as a real as possible...and yet the music people buy sets them back soundwise to the 1950's..you are basically listening to transistor radio quality sound

many folk are happy with that..most people are not interested in Hi Fi sound..but they should release two versions..one with compression for ipod users..and one with as fuller Dynamic Range as possible...instead we get the sh*t version only

don't forget..most recordings originally have a decent dynamic range...we getting short changed..for no reason

Last edited:
Can't have that at all. To say that mp3 is about the same standard as "transistor" radio is a plain daft and undermines your argument quite a bit

I have downloads of pieces with enormous varied range and scope (lark ascending or mozarts clarinet concerto being examples) and I can assure you that with right headphones I am talking concert hall quality. I would defy anyone to tell difference between that an a cd

Can't have that at all. To say that mp3 is about the same standard as "transistor" radio is a plain daft and undermines your argument quite a bit

I have downloads of pieces with enormous varied range and scope (lark ascending or mozarts clarinet concerto being examples) and I can assure you that with right headphones I am talking concert hall quality. I would defy anyone to tell difference between that an a cd

bloody hell Clive...i'll repeat..I'M NOT REFERRING TO MP3's above:)..re transistor radio

i'm talking about dynamic compression in the mastering

MP3's just have less info..some of it is removed when the file is compressed...as in reduced in size..that's why its called a lossy format....dynamic range is same..so they can sound acceptable dynamically yes...but do not sound as good as the original on a Hifi system..they sound slightly shut in..lack of air. I don't see any need to play MP3's on a hifi..a bit silly when you can play the original. The problem is that music is being mastered at source..just for folk who listen to MP3's..and thats wrong imo.

Dynamic range reducing is a totally different issue...a serious one for anyone buying most new music or most remasters..and wants to here it as realistically as possible. When music is dynamically compressed it basically squashes everything into the mid band..so bass is more trebly ..making it sound harsh when played on a hifi system..some people think its clearer on headphones..which it is..but it doesn't sound real..just trebly and bright

Last edited:
Which is why 12inch singles are still used by djs. And always have been. Bass is different quality

The trouble is the ******* things used to weigh a ton

Fair enough but im bored now

Back