Arc - Sponsored By Qatar

Powerscourt

At the Start
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/arti...49&parent_id=29

Qatar will sponsor the prestigious Prix de larc de Triomphe race for a period of five years (2008-12), it was announced yesterday.
Qatar Racing and Equestrian Club (QREC) and France Galop signed an agreement to this effect in Doha at a ceremony attended by QREC vice-president Sheikh Mohammed bin Faleh a-Thani, International Federation of Horse racing Authorities chairman Louis Romanet, France Galop general manager Emanuelle Bour and QREC general manager Sami Jassim al-Boenain.
It will be the worlds richest race on turf with the prize money doubled from the previous 2mn euros to 4mn euros.
“This partnership with QREC is important for France Galop as the prize money will increase from two million euros to four million for this year Prix de lArc de Triomphe and the four following years,â€‌ Bour told reporters.
This is highest since the Arc was created, thus making it the richest race on turf in the world. This twofold increase of in prize money is a major milestone for racing and the racing industry in the world,‌ added Bour.
Over many years, the Arc was had been recognised as the best quality race worldwide, with the highest rating, but because of its prize money, it was ranked behind other important international races with inferior ratings.
“Thanks to this partnership, the Arc has found its true place among the most prestigious international races. In addition, this partnership is also an opportunity to shed special light on Arabian racing as our contract provides that four races open to Arabian horses will be staged during this week.
“The 350,000 euro Qatar Arabian World Cup will be held on the Arc Sunday. This race will be the richest Arabian race in the world,â€‌ Bour added.
“This partnership provides us an opportunity to associate the most prestigious race in the world with Qatar, which is the most dynamic country in the Gulf for sport competitions,â€‌ said al-Boenain.
“Qatar is making a determined bid to establish itself on the world stage, having already announced plans for implementing an ambitious programme for Thoroughbred racing.
“After having reached an agreement to sponsor the Arc in December, this is the real contract that was signed today. We had to get everything in order that would suit both Qatar and France and we are happy with the way it has worked,â€‌ added al-Boenain.
Apart the agreement with France Galop, the QREC also inked a contract with the Arabian Racing Organisation of the United Kingdom. This contract enables Qatar to sponsor a full day’s racing at Lingfield in August.
Earlier Qatar had sponsored a single race in Newbury. “Earlier we had held only one race in the day’s race card but we were not satisfied with that.
“So this year we have a new contract which allows us to hold a complete day’s racing on August 27 in Lingfiled. This will be followed by the races in France in September and October,â€‌ al-Boenain.

The prize money increase is great news. The best race in the world should really have the best prize money. Hopefully this will be the first step in accomplishing that.

Did anyone see Thommo at Sedgefield a few weeks back when he gave an exclusive live to ATR viewers about this sponsorship.
Unfortunately it had been reported in the RP about 3 months earlier!!
I'm sure those unfortunate enough to see The Morning Line today will know he's just been over to Qatar (he mentioned it enough times).
Sadly it wasn't on a one way ticket though.

That's big news.

It seems to me France is really getting its act together where flat racing is concerned. The Prix du Jockey Club is the big 10f race in Europe for 3-y-olds and the Grand Prix de Paris might one day supplant the Irish Derby's position in the calendar and status as the decider between the Epsom and Chantilly winners. And now this huge injection of money into the Arc prize fund.

I imagine it could make it even more difficult to find replacement sponsors for the Epsom and Irish Derbies and for the KG + QE Stakes than it already has been.

I was just about to say that DO, going down the thread, then I saw someone else had got there first....!

Just goes to show how amazingly short-sighted our 'leaders' of the sport have been.
btw I wonder how far outside the parameters of EU non-competition rules the PMU is -
-- not that it would matter in France - they know how to direct these things there :rolleyes:

This is a real coup for France Galop, the Arc is now without doubt the premier turf race in the world.

It would be interesting to know how much of the €4m the sponsors will be providing. Probably a much lesser proportion than would be needed to sponsor the Derby, maybe no more in absolute terms.

Looking back to the (paltry €1m!) Prix D'Amerique in January, the total amount bet on that race alone (in France, on the pari-mutuel, on and off-course) was €36.4m. This is roughly comparable, I should imagine, to what's bet on the Arc, and the PMU's net profit on such a turnover would just about cover the Arc prize fund on its own.

The price we pay in the UK for the privilege of tolerating the existence of bookmakers!

I wonder how far outside the parameters of EU non-competition rules the PMU is

The European Commission has already ruled that France's gambling laws breach EU law on the free movement of services. The French government are currently re-writing their gambling laws to comply...

It is expected that their proposal will be to allow limited competition, but only to online companies that are licensed by them and who agree to pay the a comparative rate of tax on turnover to that which the PMU currently generates. Hardly the most attractive proposition.

Plus ça change...

Dubai Duty Free will sponsor the Irish Derby for the next 5 years.

There was a report in the Telegraph a few weeks back that Vodafone might sponsor the Derby again this year as a one-off - anyone heard anything?

Yes, they will. Think they will sponsor the Derby for this year also, but not the Oaks etc. - Oaks and Coronation Cup (if I am correct) will be sponsored by Juddmonte Farms.

Back