Are You A Compulsive Gambler?

How on earth did I only manage to get 1/20? :blink:

I must be doing something right. Away now to Betfair................. :lol:

Originally posted by Melendez@May 24 2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think "Have you ever felt remorse after gambling" deserved a point though.
I'm not sure that "That was a certainty, I should have had my mortgage on that instead of a piddling fiver" counts as remorse. :D

Quite a few of the points were debatable if you ask me - say about 4 of them.

Originally posted by Melendez@May 24 2006, 04:03 PM
I don't think "Have you ever felt remorse after gambling" deserved a point though.
Me neither - you're hardly going to be turning cartwheels if you've done your cash!! :lol:

4/20 for me.

I got 1/20 on that so not too bad. Bit iffy mind, "no" to all questions I think gets 0/20 and you score a point for each "yes" you have. Could have mixed it up a bit and re-phrased the questions.

I have often thought about the subject.Personally I am a very enthusiastic and mildly successful punter.At this time of the year I don't bet during the week but when the wife went away last weekend I gambled ferociously on betfair(from an initial bank of €300).
For me its a hobby,passion and modest moneyspinner but when I told my workcolleagues I had €50 on Numbersixvalverde in the National they were all gobsmacked(the real figure was close to 400).

It all depends what you can afford to bet though really, if I had £70 on a horse at Hamilton then my conscience would set in as at the moment I can't afford to be tthat and doubt I will be able to till I at least have a permanent job, but there are people who can and it's all about setting your own limits etc.

A friend of mine was once sent out to the shops by his then live in girlfriend.This was about 12 years ago.He stopped off at the bookies where all my cronies congregated.Had a score on a 7/1 winner to kick off and then settled in for some recreational gambling.Two hours later he is rattling coppers and asking does anyone know how much a cabbage costs.

Originally posted by Irish Stamp@May 24 2006, 04:48 PM
It all depends what you can afford to bet though really,
My thoughts exactly. Even as a youngster I was taught never to bet more than you can afford to lose. I watched my grandad self destruct through his gambling addiction, eventually dying and leaving my nan penniless.

I scored 1/10. My 'yes' was for "Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?"

I would expect anyone who has ever bet and lost would have to say 'yes' to this one...

I am surprised to have scored zero. I don't think that Gamblers Anonymous intended the remorse question to be about regret caused by picking the wrong one!

I scored particularly well on not allowing gambling to interfere with work...

Back