Argento Chase

Bollin Eric

At the Start
Who will win the Argento Chase? Madison Du Berlais has shown huge class over 3m and would look to be the class runner of the field, reflecting on his 23 length trouncing of a slightly lacklustrious Denman, who was on his first outing for eleven months, though it was still an excellent victory! However, Carruthers should still be considered, he was fourth in the RSA Chase at the festival of 2009 and is the one that is most likely to have shouldered the most improvement, having won at Newbury, the run away winner against some very good horses, including Grand National candidate, Big Fella Thanks. Overall I think that Carruthers is the one that will come on, and is a top class chaser in the making as the favourite for this race coming up.

Also, let us not forget the promising novice chaser Inchidaly Rock, who has shown remarkably more talent over the bigger obstacles, and has a pretty good chance.

I am looking forward to this race, because it may tell us that we've got a new kid on the block - Inchidaly Rock, it may tell us we were right in thinking Carruthers was a top class chaser, or it may tell us whether Madison Du Berlais has come on since Kempton. S'pose we'll find out tommorow!

P.S Sorry I posted this late, I hope that I can get as many opinions as possible before the race.:)

Last edited:
I can't have Madison Du Berlais. I don't think he acts around Cheltenham and is much better on flatter tracks. It just depends how much better than the rest he is, he might be able to win if the rest aren't close to him. Inchidaly Rock is of appeal to me. His form is looking quite solid with Hey Big Spender coming out and winning a decent prize at Newbury and Connak winning today at Chepstow, beating Mobaasher who Inchidaly also beat a long way in his latest start. He will like Soft ground, acts around Cheltenham and will stay the trip. I'm also not convinced Carruthers acts around Cheltenham. I can't have Knowhere or Ollie Magern and I think Taranis will do amazingly well to come close after such a long time off, he'll probably do well to stay the trip, too. Joe Lively is also of interest at 10/1 but seeing as the race is 7 runner there's no point backing him each-way. He hasn't shown much this year but if he can recapture his old form he can go close. To conclude, my tentative selection would be Inchidaly Rock.

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking about Madison at Cheltenham, that would probably be the only concern for me, Carruthers normally tires up the Cheltenham hill quite badly, and he doesn't really like jumping while going downhill either a.k.a. RSA Chase 2009 where we absolutely fluffed the third last, was it that one? anyway I see your point there Simon, although Carruthers goes well on soft and heavy ground, so all the same he could be helped by that. It's a close one to call, really is.

I can see what you mean about Inchidaly Rock, he clearly has huge talent and is one for the future. I could see him doing what Master Minded did in February 2008, in the game spirit chase (do you know which one I mean?) and come and destroy them as an upcoming novice.

Inchidaly Rock will progress but I can't see him doing it just yet, though yes, he goes very well at Cheltenham and I respect your views.

I think for Carruthers to win, which I think he could, he will have to set a good early gallop and be at least five lengths clear going into the home straight, as he gets tired up the hill. What I think will happen is Carruthers will hold on grimly, in a tight finish, from Madison Du Berlais and Inchidaly Rock, though I can't really think which one will challenge Carruthers the most. Inchidaly Rock will have improved but I'm not sure enough to win against the elite. We'll find out tommorow, I s'pose.

I know which performance you mean (Master Minded - Game Spirit) but he was no novice at the time.

Inchidaly Rock is of appeal to me. His form is looking quite solid with Hey Big Spender coming out and winning a decent prize at Newbury and Connak winning today at Chepstow, beating Mobaasher who Inchidaly also beat a long way in his latest start. He will like Soft ground, acts around Cheltenham and will stay the trip.
Connak was last of three to finish yesterday, Simon. Aside from that, Inchidaly Rock is of some interest despite impressing very few at the track last time he won.

Sorry, Rory, I somehow managed to mix up the Alners and Dartnells, as it's their horse I was thinking of.

I'm coming in a bit from left field here.

Most of these are opposable, with the probable exception of Carruthers, but he doesn't strike me as punting material at the price. Inchidaly Rock is pretty much the unknown quantity and I'm trying to get into Ruby's head. I wonder if he picked this one with an eye on the future and the owner's big guns. If Taranis is ready to run - and it is a big if - close to its best first time up then he's the one for me.

As for the other races, I want to see Pistolet Noir piss up in the first, if only to frank my a/p bet for the Triumph.

I like PLein Pouvoir in the 1.30 but it's not the kind of race I bet in.

I like Akilak in the 2.05 but haven't decided whether to bet it yet.

Lie Forrit shouldn't really be favourite for the 3.40 so isn't much of a value bet but I reckon he'll improve enough to win.

The 4.20 looks very tight and some runners seem to be here for the run but I like Oldrik's profile and 9/1 is my kind of price.

Last edited:
I'm coming in a bit from left field here.

Most of these are opposable, with the probable exception of Carruthers, but he doesn't strike me as punting material at the price. Inchidaly Rock is pretty much the unknown quantity and I'm trying to get into Ruby's head. I wonder if he picked this one with an eye on the future and the owner's big guns. If Taranis is ready to run - and it is a big if - close to its best first time up then he's the one for me.

Are you watching, dj :p:p

You've vindicated my point. Far more interesting knowing what you think before the race than knowing what you've backed afterwards.

:) Fair enough. I can live with that!

B&startin' bookies shaved 4pts off it from the last show to SP too!

(I know I shouldn't complain, having taken 14/1 with the bpg, but I'm a greedy b&start myself.)

Last edited:
Such a weird day's racing. I wanted to lay everything in this race and felt I could back seven or eight of the Cleeve runners.

Back