Arkle Hopes

Ardross

Senior Jockey
I was rather more impressed by Sizing Europe than Snap Tie .

The exaggerated slowing down a number of times the latter approached a fence was not particularly encouraging today I thought. A lot more experience and a much more fluent round of jumping is surely required before he can be considered a serious contender.

Snap Tie in not best fresh in my opinion. I thought it was a poor enough effort. Rippling Ring and Piegon Island are hounds.

It's early enough to be talking about Arkle horses, especially when considering the likes of Sizing Europe who despite posting impressive performances at times, has badly disappointed just as often.

It is early but isn't that the great thing about NH races - we all start thinking about Cheltenham from the moment the jumps season proper starts !

Well yes, but talk of animals like Sizing Europe and Snap Tie being fancied for the Arkle seems daft to me as both are perennial disappointers!

Assuming of course that he runs as the yard have one of the most exciting Arkle candidates in some time in the shape of Crack Away Jack.

It is early but isn't that the great thing about NH races - we all start thinking about Cheltenham from the moment the jumps season proper starts !

The very same thing crossed my mind (in a pleasing fashion, I have to say) when I read the Gold Cup thread.

Well yes, but talk of animals like Sizing Europe and Snap Tie being fancied for the Arkle seems daft to me as both are perennial disappointers!
Sizing Europe won a Greatwood Hurdle in atrocious conditions and then absolutely hacked up in an Irish Champion Hurdle and you want to bracket him with Snap Tie.I don't think so.

Sizing Europe has always looked a chaser even when he was favourite for the Champion Hurdle. Even Denman was a bit of a disappointment over timber.

its such a shame that sizing europe will have to meet crack away jack in the arkle

it will be another dissapointing cheltenham for his fans

but a good win at Punchestown nether the less

Noble Alan wont be far away come the day . The general 8/1 about SE is plain daft...and anyone backing that should be sectioned.

I was only bracketing Sizing Europe and Snap Tie in the context that the thread was initially discussing this pair for the Arkle. I like Sizing Europe, and he has posted some very impressive performances, but he did lose the thread spectacularly for a while - probably through some sort of injury - and I'd like to see that he's over that and could be consistent as the season progresses before talking about him in terms of winning the Arkle.

Besides, as Prince Regent says, Crack Away Jack will be hard to beat!!

Capt Cee Bee is another to deserve a mention, assuming his injury has not affected him long term.

See that Catch Me makes his chasing debut today at Cork. Not too far of top class over hurdles, ill be interested to see how he takes to fences

Looking forward to seeing him today as well, likes a bit further than 2 miles so the arkle at a fast pace should suit, assuming he is good enough.

I think Catch Me was found wanting at Aintree. Will do ok over fences but no way will be within a stone of the arkle winner at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Captain Cee Bee is due out over fences in the next month according to Eddie Harty who is delighted with his progress after the injury!!

Back