Arlington Million - Saturday Aug 21st

The debate is so tiring, nearly every race ran abroad is knocked on here. It's like the Daily Mail of racing forums! :p

American turf racing isn't as strong as their dirt/synthetics racing and this race obviously isn't as good as say the Arc or King George but it's still a Group One in it's own right and well done to the British trainers for targeting it. The more that do it, the better these races will become.

The debate is so tiring, nearly every race ran abroad is knocked on here. It's like the Daily Mail of racing forums! :p

American turf racing isn't as strong as their dirt/synthetics racing and this race obviously isn't as good as say the Arc or King George but it's still a Group One in it's own right and well done to the British trainers for targeting it. The more that do it, the better these races will become.

That is all we are saying....but not just the Arc.

I love American racing - I am a huge fan of the Breeders Cup but it is only right that races such as this or in Dubai or in Germany (dual Group1 winner Campanologist of late!) that the weakness of some of these Group 1s should be pointed out. I am sure the Americans would say the same about our sprinters and they would be spot on too.

I'm sorry that telling the truth is classed as knocking.

surely to do otherwise is just hype?

All G1's aren't equal..some are better than others..thats fact

Last edited:

I love American racing - I am a huge fan of the Breeders Cup but it is only right that races such as this or in Dubai or in Germany (dual Group1 winner Campanologist of late!) that the weakness of some of these Group 1s should be pointed out. I am sure the Americans would say the same about our sprinters and they would be spot on too.

they would certainly say the same about our "dirt" performers

its just how it is isn't it really

its no good gushing about a performance if its not really that strong

all credit to anyone travelling abroad..but it doesn't make it more than what it is

not really sure what Stan wants tbh

what rating would you give Debussy Stan?..seeing as that is how most races are viewed

Last edited:

Just because a race isn't as good as the Arc, it doesn't mean it's not a Group One though! The Lockinge is generally poor compared to every other Group One mile race but it's still a Group One. Until we have another tier above Group One (feel like we're debated A-Level grades or something!) then every Group One should be respected for what it is, some are just stronger than others.

I'm glad you've acknowledged the latter point about sprinters etc., when we last debated American racing, that point was lost on people.

Our classic generation would get battered on dirt in the same way theirs would on turf. Their racing still favours dirt and synthetics races so their turf Group Ones will be a few pounds below ours, and vice versa.

Agree with Germany but not Dubai (lets not get into that again) but even the Japanese and Hong Kong Group Ones get put down and they really are genuine Group One races.

Back