Ascot - Champions Day

Opinion Poll looks a a good thing in the first imo.

Main rival F&G looks likely to underperform again at this time of year..end of season record from September onwards since reaching 3yo of age reads..26654

Times Up looks very short on back of listed win..not sure that after 22 runs he has suddenly improved too much

Does it? At risk of going over debates on the other thread...

There are two Group Ones which are of course, outstanding fields but the supporting races aren't top top class. The first race is about as exciting as Belgium, the sprint is missing the Champion Sprinter and hasn't attracted anything like the international stars that the Royal Ascot sprints attract and the fillies and mares race is missing the two star mares as they are in a race that clashes and the Irish Oaks/Yorkshire Oaks winner is finished for the year.

All they've done is put the Champion and QE2 on the same day yet there is a collective hard on for the card.

They still have a long way to go to make this format work and fit with the International calendar and to develop a flat season narrative.

I applaud the innovation and the idea but the execution of it is a long way from what I'd like to see.

well if Cheltenhams does i think Ascot's does too..at end of day..its a good card even if its not what everyone wanted

then again..if no one's bothered they can just post on Cheltenhams thread;)

Last edited:
The sprint could throw up a big priced un..but of the front two I certainly favour Deacon Blues over Moonlight Cloud

MC will struggle over this trip imo..even on a stiff course..has never faced 6f pace before and will be outpaced i reckon

Poets Voice to place in the big race looks value..this race looks his main target..his form in 2010 came good at this time of the year..think he will be near his best today

EC

tend to disagree with you

Deacon Blues
the ground is a cocnern as is the draw, number 14, stalls on the stand side and style of racing, could have traffic problems
french fillie most likely winner even thinking the other is a better horse

stayers
FAG weak in the market looks like running another bad one, Opinion Poll always said to bea softer ground horse and Times Up is the most likley winner for me, on an upwards curve ,distance adn ground to suit.

FM
Ferdoos is the class horse but tricky race

Frankel should win and Excelebration to be runner up

he has good form on good ground but my feeling is he is better on slightly softer and 2 miles

Times Up was impressive last time and is the one in the upward curve

Maybe I'm an optimist, but the more I look at the big 5 Ascot races, the more they look predictable, and (maybe the Fillies and Mares apart) I'd be surprised to see any of them falling to a horse out of the 1st 3 in the market.
Possibly not a good day for 'value' punters, or the bookmakers, even.

I like Banimpire in the F&M race.
Also think Twice Over & Dick Turpin are big ew prices, who could possibly sneak into a place in their respective races.

I'm pleased that the first three races have been run by horses with good, solid, Group form - the Ascot Gold Cup winner, a progressive dual Group 3-winning favourite, the Oaks winner - as it gives a certain amount of validity to the 'Champions day' concept.

Please God and Sir Henry that Frankel keeps that momentum going in the next...

Maybe the good weather and fast ground is helping fool the horses into thinking it's still June!

Excelebration and Fame And Glory need to have a chat out back about being born in the wrong year.

Sir Henry to Her Madge at the presentation: "Thanks very much Ma'am...now, when are you going to send me a couple of yearlings?"

So You Think starting to get insanely short in my opinion.I've had a little punt on Midday at 12.5 with a view to laying off at short odds in running.Might save on Casamento or Twice Over.

Back