Ascot Chase

Shame Zig fell. Would have been interesting had he stood up.
Nice by the winner. Couldn't be having him for Cheltenham though.

His Dr PJ Moriarty Chase win was as good as any from an Irish novice chaser last season.

He may not be a superstar, but he is a better horse than he showed today.

You'd have to think he'd win more races but The Dr PJ Moriarty Chase was along time ago and the form was at least a bit suspect. It was I imagine looked upon as a stepping stone to the Festival so who needed it and who didn't has to be questionable

Hard to say if he'd have beaten CL and Don Cossak wasn't in the best of form at the time. He was in the throws of being well beaten at Cheltenham and was kicked into touch at Aintree.

CL beat Ballycasey very easily a couple of months later and his only win since has come in moderate company.

Can't believe if he wasn't a WM he'd have gone off at 3/1 yesterday on recent form he looked a 20/1 shot and ran like one.

Called off our trip to ascot - ridiculous field sizes and would only have bet in two max three races. Tickets were free but won't do anything to encourage new race goers with that on offer. Expect more w/d tomorrow as it's chucking with rain here - shambles

The traffic was a nightmare as they had closed the entrance to car park one on the opposite side of the high street, no race cards by the time we got in as you go in the main entrance, was told to go inside the grandstand to get them, asked two different stewards guarding staircases where to get them as was heaving inside and moving around a nightmare, keep going down towards silver ring they said, third person guarding another staircase told us there were no race cards for sale inside and to go outside. When I told them they had sold out outside, he said ' well what time did you get here? ' I had to walk away from him before I really lost my temper. Male companions moaning about queues at bars, I did try to warn them it would be bad, but they didn't listen. Email to follow to race course saying what a shambles it was and will add I really wish they could sort out the sync problem with the screens and live action. I can't remember the horse but one had fallen before he had even got to the fence.

It's been said before but the key to Balder Success (are we pronouncing this suk- say then?) is small fields. Double figure field and he has no chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The traffic was a nightmare as they had closed the entrance to car park one on the opposite side of the high street, no race cards by the time we got in as you go in the main entrance, was told to go inside the grandstand to get them, asked two different stewards guarding staircases where to get them as was heaving inside and moving around a nightmare, keep going down towards silver ring they said, third person guarding another staircase told us there were no race cards for sale inside and to go outside. When I told them they had sold out outside, he said ' well what time did you get here? ' I had to walk away from him before I really lost my temper. Male companions moaning about queues at bars, I did try to warn them it would be bad, but they didn't listen. Email to follow to race course saying what a shambles it was and will add I really wish they could sort out the sync problem with the screens and live action. I can't remember the horse but one had fallen before he had even got to the fence.

Had actually bought train tickets rather than driving as the last time we went on Quipco day it took us ovr 30 mins to leave the car park. Hubby wasnt pleased at the thought of losing £30 (I had paid for them!) but did explain that better to be down £30 then another £100+ after food, drinks and the two bets we would probably have placed.

Tempted to email them myself too saying why we didnt go - they kept saying on TV that the crowd size was good for the day - but would assume it was full of young drunk couples looking for a cheap date?!

G1 course, G1 prize money = Class 6 day

It's been said before but the key to Balder Success (are we pronouncing this suk- say then?) is small fields. Double figure field and he has no chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know where you get that from he won his first 2 races in fields of 20 and 12

Safe to say he was overfaced in his hurdling career and never became a real force to be reckoned with until he went chasing.

If connections believed it was a problem they could easily adapt in any size of fields

The thing about riding a good horse is you can make a field any size you want.

You can sit handy on a hold up horse with his sort of ability and make it a 5 horse race if you wish.

There's no rule that says a hold up horse must sit out the back.......and if ridden just off the pace he'd be lucky if he laid eyes on more than 8 or 9 horses during the entire race unless he ran a stinker.

Wouldn't surprise me one little bit if the same 2 horses finished 1st and 2nd in The Ryanair. I though the performances of both horses were excellent

Back