Ascot Going

Guest_

At the Start
The ground is Good,Good To Soft in places. Sounds like there could be cut in the ground based on the description but its impossible to be sure about Ascot’s reports these days.

And I was under the illusion (despite it raining outside) it was going to be firm, what a di*k!

Originally posted by Melendez@Jun 12 2008, 10:51 AM
Guessing two dryish days before the meeting and there will be dust rising down the straight.
That’s what I was getting at Mel, I would imagine it will be decent ground regardless of the description unless there is an absolute downpour.

Turtrax Map - Last updated: 12-Jun-08 10:30

urftrax.com_ws_courseservices_ASCOT_maps_12-06-2008_1036300.jpg

Thanks, Gareth, it might have helped if I wasn't colour-blind! :shy:

My guess is that it's good, except around Swinley Bottom where there is a touch more give.

My Dad is working at Royal Ascot next week so I should be able to get some pretty accurate reports. I live in Ascot, so I should be able to give you a day by day account of the weather conditions if you want them!

by Lee Mottershead

ASCOT clerk of the course Chris Stickels has predicted "a mixture of good and good to firm ground" for the start of next week's royal meeting after rain eased conditions at the track.

Stickels amended Ascot's official going description from good to firm, good in places to good, good to soft in places following 11mm of rain on Wednesday night and a further 1mm during Thursday's daylight hours.

However, although a series of showers could now fall on Ascot, Stickels is not expecting the racecourse to be bombarded by water.

He said: "We are not due a tremendous amount of rain in the next 48 hours, but we are forecast possibly 3mm through Saturday afternoon and evening and then a further 2mm on Sunday.

"If that forecast proves correct, I wouldn't need to water and we would probably have a mixture of good and good to firm ground for the start of the meeting, which would be an ideal starting point.

"You always have to be wary about how much rain you are going to get, but I am very happy with where we are right now."

A Met Office spokesman added: "The next few days could be pretty showery. Some of those will be quite heavy, but it is rather hit and miss as to whether Ascot gets one of them. Looking further ahead, temperatures should recover to 18C or 19C on Monday, and that will help to dry things out."

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but having given three kinds of going within 24 hrs [which any change can't be good for horses to deal with even given they may be on different courses] why could he not water the G/GF bits now, and even things out a bit :rolleyes:
thereby having a sporting chance of Good ground overall next week?

It absolutely hacked down with rain last night, HS.

Also, like DJ says, the ground is invariably good to firm in the home straight and has been since Ascot re-opened. The drainage in the home straight is too efficient and nearly always produces ground a hell of a lot faster than that of the rest of the course, in particular Swinley Bottom, which tends to be the slowest part of the track by some way.

I'll have Sky on Monday at last so may be a bit more up to speed with going etc elsewhere :suspect:

Hard to imagine all that rain - East Angular is back to usual dry and breezy self, no rain in sight

Prior to the refurb Ascot was always a well draining Heathland course (I have played the old golf course in the middle there many times, even after a downpour it would drain really well inside a few hours...since the re-furb the drainage they put into te new track is very good so unless it absolutely tanks it down I cant see anything other than good, good to firm in the straight or faster.

Good To Firm all over now, except Swinley Bottom where it's still just Good.

Weather Forecast

Today: More showers but sunny intervals through the day, 18°C

Tuesday: A little sunshine, clouding over for long spells, largely dry, 19°C

Wednesday: Quite windy with patchy light rain, steadier rain in the evening, 20°C

Thursday: Early rain, bright through the afternoon, some warm sunshine but windy, 21°C

Friday: Sunshine at times, cloud thickening to bring passing showers, 19°C

Saturday: Sunny spells, quite warm in sunshine, 20°C

Gerald Delamere has walked the course and he reckons the straight course will ride quick. He was unable to ascertain any difference across the width of the track

Back