Ascot Going

Ascot is now Firm, Good To Firm in places. Ground is going to be rattling fast, some might not let themselves down on it.

The ground could be firm by tomorrow.

The rain better arrive....

Jon Lees

WITH spots of rain reaching Ascot late on Friday afternoon, clerk of the course Chris Stickels took the decision not to water on Friday night in anticipation of more substantial bursts of rain during the night.

The advice from weather forecaster John Kettley was that around 4mm of rain would fall overnight at the course where the official going was firm, good to firm in places.

“The worst of the wet weather is set to skirt Ascot but there are showers queuing up to come this way from now and into tomorrow morning,” Stickels said.

“He is suggesting we will get 4mm and on that basis I shan't be watering.

“I wouldn't have put anymore than 4mm if I had watered but I don't want to put down water and then have it rain on top, then you have the danger of the ground becoming loose.”

The Met Office bulletin suggested any rain would be light.

“There should be some rain at times through the night but it should be mainly light,” said a spokesman.

“Saturday should be drier with some light rain as well as bright spells but never much sunshine.”

Still no substantial rain. There was a very brief shower here late afternoon, but apart from that another dry day and the evening has been pretty dry so far too. Just a couple of very light showers that soon dry up. Maybe the heavens will open during the late night/early morning? shrug::

Originally posted by Kathy@Jun 20 2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe the heavens will open during the late night/early morning? shrug::
I`ve backed Sakhee`s Secret so i hope not. At least if it does rain a substantial amount the trainer will pull him.

It definitely appears to have rained during the night and some more light rain this morning. It's stopped now. It will be interesting to see how much it changes the going. I can only imagine it could be quite slippery to start with.

I suspect we'll be hearing about the "trampoline effect" at soem point during the day, which is something Ascot allegedly exhibits with a bit of rain. That is to say the rain speeds horses up or at the very least, doesn't effect race times, and there has been some evidence of this in the past

I dont think the clerk can be happy with the week,
the ground has been too quick and there have been draw bias.
A pity the best racecourse in the world was not able to handle the situation in the best flat meeting of the season.

Back