Ascot Going

Expected good/good to firm in places tomorrow. Only light showers at best expected. Hopefully not too fast for Workforce. I think he'll be okay on this.

Cheers, guys. Any word on watering?

This was the state of play today. But due to dry out a little tomorrow. As it is more or less good all round with light showers due I don't think there are any plans to water - i.e. they should only water to maintain good/firm going. The scale is 1 to 15 with 8 being slap in the middle.

Course AscotNext RaceFriday 23rd JulyReport DateFriday 23rd July; 8:15 amGoing Good GoingStick Standside 7.9, Centre 8.3, Farside 8.1, Round 8.1 Additional Information

click to enlarge map

©Copyright of the above map is under
the sole ownership of TurfTrax

Weather Forecast
4.5mm rain yesterday. Showers possible Today.
Dry forecast for Saturday and Sunday

Last edited:
Course AscotNext RaceFriday 23rd JulyReport DateFriday 23rd July; 8:15 amGoing Good GoingStick Standside 7.9, Centre 8.3, Farside 8.1, Round 8.1

Cheers, Steve. That tells me they'll probably come up the middle in the big handicap tomorrow.

Interesting that the middle was considerably slower than either side of the straight at the royal meeting.

I logged into Turftrax but couldn't find their coloured illustration of the going. How did you manage to locate it?

I get e-mailed tons of crap, but some of it is useful. This should be up on the Ascot website though.

Frankie raced wide and only came over to the rails in the second half of the race. The runner-up was also drawn wide.

unless they water tonight :)

Yes, but there's no mention of any watering taking place overnight at the racecourse website. With the going stick readings ranging from 7.9 to 8.3 (good ground, a touch on the fast side) I can't see them watering. The readings were getting past 10 at the royal meeting.

Last edited:
Yes, but there's no mention of any watering taking place overnight at the racecourse website. With the going stick readings ranging from 7.9 to 8.3 (good ground, a touch on the fast side) I can't see them watering. The readings were getting past 10 at the royal meeting.

i was thinking about sectional watering :)

All the evidence is that the ground was faster towards the stands rail. So much for the going stick's accuracy.:blink:

I would say there was little in it between the ground at Epsom and at Ascot. Former something like 8 lb quicker, not what I suggested earlier.

Impressive to beat the track record in the circumstances, though it should be remembered that Ascot's current track dates only to 2006.

Good point, Mr P.

The track has been riding faster since it was re-laid. Nevertheless, giving Cape Blanco et al upwards of an 18lbs beating borders on the incredible.

Could it just be one of those days when only the winner ran to form? Cape Blanco was having its third G1 in less than two months. Youmzain never runs its best here. Workforce clearly didn't run its race. Daryakana was held up for scraps of the place money.

Last edited:
Back