Ascot Inspecting This Afternoon

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 22 2007, 09:08 PM
Nobody at Ascot could believe that Stickels was dumb enough to state there were no problems envisaged and no precautionary inspection would be needed - it was obvious to the stupidest person at Ascot yesterday that there would be some doubts. The temperature dropped rapidly, there was no cloud cover and they didn't bother to put the frost covers down.

Your post read like it could may well have been directed at Stickels' comment, as the entire post was quoted rather than the part in question.
What Shadow Leader means is "sorry ~ my mistake" :D

Originally posted by Diminuendo@Dec 22 2007, 08:01 PM
SL my response was directed at UG's comment...'Let's see.' I felt that Goober had predicted the problems that arose this morning, without stating so in too many words, if you get my drift.
That's very much how I interpreted your remark too, Diminuendo.

There was a general consensus "behind the scenes" that it would go ahead but as SL rightly says, the frost covers were not replaced so there was a slight panic "just in case" as the temperatures had dropped rapidly last night and it was still only 1 degree at 9am this morning.

Thankfully, about 11am the sun broke through and I was stood with Clare at the stables who looks are Tora Bora just waiting for the "official" go ahead. It was a precaution but had to be done as I feel that if the sun hadn't broken through there could still have been some slippery patches on the course bearing in mind the first race as at 12.30.

Surprisingly enough though, it wasn't the home straight [that is shadowed by the stands] that appeared to have the problems. The parts of the track that I walked just before 11am were fine. I believe the worry was over the far side.

The 1130am inspection didn't last very long, especially the parts in the home straight. Choc was adamant that the track would be fine and racing would take place, a good 15-20 mins before the official verdict was announced.

Oh, kiss my arse, Goober!!!!!! :P You know full well who Choc is - any idiot who professes to know NH racing knows who Choc is!!!!!!

Back