Ascot Take Outs - Day One

barjon

Conditional
Whilst it’s fresh in our minds (although last Tuesday does seem far away) I thought it might be useful to record any who caught the eye for one reason or another. Mostly, the winners have already spoken, although there were some outstanding performances.

Anyway first up is the opening day.

MALJOOM
Tuesday, Queen Anne 3rd

He lost a couple of lengths on the field with a slow start and raced at the back. Still third last with a couple of furlongs to go he had to delay his challenge with no opening appearing, but when he got through he finished well to take third without troubling the first two (CHARYN won impressively). I think his performance can be marked up a bit and there should be more to come now that he seems over his troubles, although Haggas describes him as a fragile horse.

KYLE OF LOCHALSH
Tuesday, Ascot Stakes 3rd

Another who lurched out of the gate and lost a bit of ground meaning he raced near the back of the field, still in 14th into the straight and around 11th coming into two furlongs out. He was finishing strongly when having the gate closed on him a bit, but kept going for a decent third. Considering he was bumped up 10lbs for a Class3 win at Salisbury on his previous run, this was a good run up in Class and he is clearly improving.

NAQEEB
Tuesday, Copper Horse 12th

Where he would have finished is anyone’s guess, but he looked full of running when repeatedly denied a run inside the last furlong.

Last edited:
A good idea for a thread and not enough of this ilk for a racing forum.

It will be Wednesday at the earliest before I get a chance to get started on any meaningful [to me] analysis and I'm willing to put up figures/conclusions but I imagine, BJ, that you and I will be in a club of two.

If that looks like being the case I'd be happy to exchange stuff by PM/email.

I will try and contribute my thoughts at some stage (being the over opinionated blonde from Somerset! 🤣) But I have a major meeting tomorrow for Point to Point stuff, which I need to prep for, so it may be Tuesday before I can add to the thread.

Notable Speech won the Guineas with a burst of speed,but was unable to cope with the stiffer track and strong pace of the SJP..
The Sussex Stakes looks much more his bag,and I've taken the 15/2 available.

Big Evs. Stiff finish was never gonna suit and I hope he's backable for Goodwood and/or York.

Almaqam. A bit outpaced in the SJP but stayed on well. His mark is lofty (112) but Sonny Liston nearly won the Hunt Cup off 111 and although it's unlikely I'd love this colt to run in the Magnet Cup. 10f looks his trip

Back