Atlantic Sport

Guest_

At the Start
See he won tonight at Newbury...remember him being well enough regarded winning a decent maiden first time out. Anyone see it? Did he do it well?

Arrived late on the scene after some traffic problems. Did it comfortably enough. Harry Findlay sent Racing UK word that horse couldn't be beaten and that he was on.

Oh I'm not so sure - for an odds on shot he was making heavy weather of it for long enough, only asserting in the final stages.

Yes, but surely he can be expected to come on a ton, especially considering he's traine... oh wait. Actually never mind. :p

Completely off-topic, but if there was anything I would change back about the forum I would be the smileys... :cool::p:o

:mad:

Just seen this;

Atlantic Sport has not been an easy horse to train and was plagued with problems after his run last season at Doncaster.

The run on Wednesday he was expected to win and the connections were pleased, however he is no 7f horse and needs further and was somewhere off peak fitness the other day. They just wanted to get him back on the track, whilst they had some decent ground.

He has always worked encouraging on the gallops and is one the yard rate very highly.

Completely off-topic, but if there was anything I would change back about the forum I would be the smileys... :cool::p:o

:mad:

Less of your complaining trackside
fighting0019.gif

The horse went off at even money jft, having traded at 10/11 in the shows - I had thought he returned at 10/11 since he traded at that just before the off.

Last edited:
Quite why Eddie Creighton was replaced with (dare I not looked over my left shoulder) Richard Hughes today.

In my opinion, that warranted a 14 day ban for Hughsie today, can someone tell me what the difference in burying a horse out the back to run on past a couple, compared to sitting there looking everywhere bar in front of you, not seeing Jim Crowley get 2l down the outside, panic and be denied by 3/4l because he didn't take the race by the scruff of the neck when he was running away. Expecting any horse to pick up in 150yrds is a joke and for me thats worse riding than a non triers.

I would like to see the Stewards impose bans on these cock docking jocks like Hughes and Spencer then maybe just maybe they wouldn't ride everything as if its in a league of its own.

I backed him in a treble today and feel bloody robbed, not my pocket talking but rides like this are inexcusable and are of no benefit to no one. It's not as if you're protecting a handicap mark either, its just pure incompetence.

Agree entirely, Chris, I don't count myself as a Hughes-basher normally but he wants his arse kicked for that ride.

Showboating should be jumped on and the jock punished every time,.......... even if the horse wins.

Oh I'm not so sure - the horse looked to be travelling well then found very little when Hughes went for him - which was a good furlong out. From around that stage it was pretty apparent the horse wasn't going to win.

In his last run, the horse made heavy weather of winning in the end after doing very similar - he travelled well then had to be hard ridden in the closing stages to prevail.

but do you not feel that sitting still and letting other horses into top stride is negative riding.

One of the first things I was told when riding in Points was "look where your going and not where you've been". Basically concentrate on whats in front of you, those behind you have to come by you. Ride your own race and worry about what you have to get past.

I remember show boating at Chewton Mendip a fair few years back, I was cruising upsdies one Spencer style and even gave the horse a cheeky pat on the neck, coming to the last my horse dived at it, I lost all momentum and 3l, I was beat half a length and on a short run in, hit my mount 11 times.

Had I kicked it in the gut when everything was going nowhere it would have been me with the upper hand not the opposition.

I personally think had Richard kicked on earlier would have won, the horse needs further than 7f and he rode him for a turn of foot, something the horse doesn't possess.

Agree with Shads here. Gave the horse plenty of time to pick up but he quite simply flattered to deceive.

I take your point about negative riding Chris and the horse possibly needing further, but if Atlantic Sport had any pretensions of being a Group horse (much less a Sussex Stakes contender!) he should have picked that lot up easily enough.

Steve Mellish certainly wasn't overly-impressed either though was he!

Last edited:
I agree with you about negative riding Chris however I don't think that's necessarily the case here. The horse was travelling supremely well - why throw the kitchen sink at him over 1f out in such an instance? It may well have led to him being beaten further in the end.

As has been mentioned, to me it looks like the horse wants further - he simply cannot respond to the turn of foot of others and gets caught flat footed. Like Trackside, I too thought he flattered to deceive and even though I think he wants a little further I suspect he could well be one of those who tricks people into thinking there is a lot more left in the tank than there actually is before finding little. He raced virtually identically last time out at Newbury and for a little while looked like he was in danger of not getting away with it.

Just seen the replay, and have to agree with Shadow Leader, just not good enough and probably needs further. Even still, Henry would eat him for breakfast.

The horse is obviously well regarded, his strength in the market the last twice would tell you that and with Hughes not having ridden him before, I'd suggest that Channon hs told him he's a good horse. That in mind, when the horse is cruising through the race on the bridle, it's no huge surprise a jockey like Hughes doesn't really go for him straight away. Has Hughes been on board or watched the reappearance effort, then he'd have seen that riding the horse for a turn of foot was incorrect and for that reason it was a bad ride, but sometimes jockeys are only as good as their instructions. You cannot expect them to know the horse as well as the trainer should unless he is stable jockey.

If Hughes was told that this horse doesn't have a potent turn of foot and shouldn't be ridden for one, then 100% bad ride his fault, however I'm blaming Channon in part for failing to ensure his jockey was sent out with adequate instructions. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but there are worse places to be!

Vincent O'Brien (a judge I would respect at all times) always maintained Eddery's looking around unbalanced El Gran Senor in the Derby and deprived the horse of forward momentum at a vital stage in the race. Apparently Piggot said to O'Brien immediately after that race "do you miss me?".

I think Cheeks makes a great point - why is it ok to ban the hell out of a jockey for going easy near the line and getting pipped and not for going easy 1 furlong out?

I appreciate the horse did not pick up as maybe Hughes had hoped for, but perhaps if he had kicked for home instead of "showboating" the result may have been different?

The horse is obviously well regarded, his strength in the market the last twice would tell you that and with Hughes not having ridden him before, I'd suggest that Channon hs told him he's a good horse. That in mind, when the horse is cruising through the race on the bridle, it's no huge surprise a jockey like Hughes doesn't really go for him straight away. Has Hughes been on board or watched the reappearance effort, then he'd have seen that riding the horse for a turn of foot was incorrect and for that reason it was a bad ride, but sometimes jockeys are only as good as their instructions. You cannot expect them to know the horse as well as the trainer should unless he is stable jockey.

If Hughes was told that this horse doesn't have a potent turn of foot and shouldn't be ridden for one, then 100% bad ride his fault, however I'm blaming Channon in part for failing to ensure his jockey was sent out with adequate instructions. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but there are worse places to be!

Instructions were, drop him in and let him settle, track the filly and just picked her up from 2f out.

As has been mentioned, to me it looks like the horse wants further - he simply cannot respond to the turn of foot of others and gets caught flat footed. Like Trackside, I too thought he flattered to deceive and even though I think he wants a little further I suspect he could well be one of those who tricks people into thinking there is a lot more left in the tank than there actually is before finding little.

It's not as if any of the others displayed a blinding turn of foot (winner was off the bridle quite a long way out and just stayed on rather than quickening). He might well want a bit further, but given the fact that tonight's race was run at a decent clip, I'll be steering clear of Atlantic Sport in the future (over any trip).

Anybody know what price he went in-running?

The time was slow and the pace was far from fast, Candle Sahara wouldn't lead, it wasn't a case of couldn't lead, she was bit uncooperative in front, not the ideal lead horse it seems, however her rating of 76 is about to go sky high.

Hughsie was a bit annoyed there was no pace, Channon was baffled how he didn't pick up.

I've watched the replay several times and I agree with what you say about him not finding much, I just think it's not wise to sit on a horse in a race that long, because your letting horses into top stride. It's different in a hgher grade of race as you can be carried into the race off a strong pace, He travelled into the pace of the race but wasn't carried into it, in my opinion. I just think in a slowly run affair where he saw alot of daylight, Hughsie didn't give the horse much confidence in sitting on him, it was only his 4th race and on his 2nd start he went lame so he has only previously had 2 races in which on debut he wasn't given a hard time. I still think he was a bit green and this is the first time he was asked to race, however I really think Hughsie has been far too confident on him, and not given the horse a chance here.

I'm normally a fan of Hughsie but its all this show boating that pee's me off.

I personally think there should be an imposed ban for show boating if it all goes wrong and that, as its a bit stupid, many jockeys are getting done by doing it and there is no need for it, it's easy to cruise up and ask the horse to lengthen holding onto it, but swinging away and not letting the horse stride out and then bang bang bang, does nothing but confuse the horse. They aint machines, they don't quicken in an instant and I sometimes think jockeys are more interested in their own ego's then bringing the best out in their mounts.

Back