Atlantic Sport

They didn't look to go that slow I didn't think, Chris.

I think an argument could be made that, given how well he travelled through the race and the apparent importance of a fast gallop, he would actually be suited by a stiff 6f (perhaps in a big field). However, as i said, not one I'll be wading into.

Not sure about the feasibility of the "showboating" ban. Some horses are tricky rides that do need holding onto until the last possible second; the type that can make jockeys look like right eejits! It's also impossible of course to prove that a horse would have won. If there's anything I've learned, it's never smart to deal with hypotheticals in racing!

You should talk to Steve Mellish about it though..

I understand on tricky rides Trackside like Geordieland but its the fact when he was having his look between his legs, Jim kicked,

He could have nudged forward, its the looking round that pee's me off not the on the bridle. Even Frank doesn't do the looking round anymore.

The time was slow, I think that suggests they went slow, also two jockeys said it was a slow race. Also Eddie Creighton felt his mount ran a bit flat and wouldnt lead, yet she was prominent.

All that said, there is of course the possability Atlantic Sport could have bounced, although its a factor I don't believe in.

You don't believe in bouncing? That's interesting. I think it is quite possible for a horse to bounce, although IMO it tends to happen when a horse isn't quite as fit as he could be first time up after the layoff. If a horse has been given enough time and is truly fit, I think that the bounce factor can be overcome.

It's really easy to underestimate how long it can take to come back after an injury. If a trainer takes his time getting them fit after said injury/layoff, the horse has a far better chance I think. The secret, in my view, is giving them enough time to get fit - obviously they will need a little longer than the average horse coming back off a break of a few weeks only.

In fact I'm starting to realise more and more how hard it is to get fit after an injury - I'm utterly dog tired at the moment, and get absolutely wiped out after a long day, or a few busy days back to back without a day's 'recovery' inbetween. Trouble is, things have to be built up slowly - I'm realising the hard way after having thought "sod it, fed up of being a cripple, gonna push myself and do loads" that it ain't that easy - I've been fit to collapse the last couple of days as well as being in constant pain after trying to do things as normal, charging around, keeping on the go during long days and not resting inbetween.

I understand on tricky rides Trackside like Geordieland but its the fact when he was having his look between his legs, Jim kicked,

He could have nudged forward, its the looking round that pee's me off not the on the bridle. Even Frank doesn't do the looking round anymore.

The time was slow, I think that suggests they went slow, also two jockeys said it was a slow race. Also Eddie Creighton felt his mount ran a bit flat and wouldnt lead, yet she was prominent.

Seeing Hughes having a peek between his legs a furlong and a half out was pretty cringe-worthy alright, Chris!

I also take your point that riding a horse on it's second run back from a considerable lay-off as if it's pegasus is far from ideal. It will be intersting to see how (or if) Atlantic Sport progresses.

Doesn't the fact remain that Atlantic Sport has struggled to beat his stable companion who was rated 31lbs inferior and in receipt of only 10lbs? Either Candle Sahara has made unbelievable improvement, or this race needs to be treated with immense caution. For me the latter applies, and it is the performance of the filly that lends some weight to the theory that Hughes denied his mount crucial forward momentum at a key stage in the race - in other words his two nearest rivals got first run on them.

The time was quicker than both juvenile events run over the same distance, so it is debatable whether or not the pace was false and whether that undid the favourite.

Interesting to note also the RP summariser believes a drop in trip maybe the key, ie. he is emptying in the 7th furlong and therefore unable to use his turn of foot over that trip.

I for one would not write the favourite off, and given a more positive ride next time up should be given a chance to redeem himself - hopefully at a decent price!

Back