ATR Festival Preview show tonight

Rather than start a thread on it

Is it just me or is the fact that there are too many podcasts, preview nights and all other racing media that this build up to Cheltenham is too prolonged

I have avoided every preview night report I can and indeed have posted a bit less than usual

I cannot wait for next week but the wall to wall is a bit much

I've watched the Matcbook one (Tom Stanley hosted), the Paddy Power one from last night (stream was on its arse every five seconds), and - against my better judgement - the RP one (Dave Orton (?) hosted).

The Matchbook one was by far and away the best of them.

I actually quite like watching the previews. They helps get the juices flowing, and I always apply my one golden rule: If they agree with me, they're judges. If they don't, they're fu*cking muppets.

Edit: I should add that I never, ever watch previews by shiny-faced Podcast wannabe wankers, who would need the aid of smelling salts if they ever had a bet over a score.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with previews is you can only really talk about the Championship races and three of them have an odds on shot. We no longer have any idea what novices are running where and the mares race and half the handicaps are really day of the race betting races.

Previews have been **** a long time but lately I feel that people are catching on.

What's the point in having preview nights when they don't know who's running where?:D

We have one on here the Sunday night before which is the right time to have one imo, but although we'll have the Supreme decs by then we still won't know whos running in the 3m, 2m 4 novice chases:D

I don't mind watching them when they are held in a packed pub somewhere when theres a good atmos but they are boring from a studio

I set one up a few years ago to raise money for our point to point at Taunton racecourse. It’s still going and is on Friday which is the latest we can have it there. The panel is usually Paul Nichols or assistant Harry Dereham, Philip Hobbs, David Pipe and Tom Scudamore. Not a bad panel! And it’s usually very good.

I went to the one at Carlisle racecourse a couple of times when I worked down that way. Waste of time apart from a few pints with a couple of mates.

I set one up a few years ago to raise money for our point to point at Taunton racecourse. It’s still going and is on Friday which is the latest we can have it there. The panel is usually Paul Nichols or assistant Harry Dereham, Philip Hobbs, David Pipe and Tom Scudamore. Not a bad panel! And it’s usually very good.

No jockeys on the panel then, Jinnyj?

:whistle: :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: Mean....! One year we had Nick Scolfield as Tom couldn’t make it and so Nick Scolfield stepped in. He started waxing lyrical about a French horse they had in the yard that was running that year. Nicholls was furious. The horse was Aux Ptits Soins and it duly won the Coral Cup on it’s first start for the yard......yes of course I backed it.....I think I tipped it on here.

Watched a 4 now, my biggest gripe by an absolute mile is this.

‘She’ll get the 7 pounds’

Shes had the 7 pounds every time shes ran, if its a handicap the 7 pounds is calculated into her mark. Not as if she had it last time and doesn’t now.
Every bit of form the horse has is with the ‘7 pounds’. A real pet peeve of mine.

The BHA are looking at the way Mares are rated....as far as I am concerned Honeysuckle is a 172 horse end of story. That puts her miles ahead of any other hurdler around and she WILL WIN end of story

Back