Auction For A Good Cause

Guest_

At the Start
Cheltenham Hero Ruby Walsh launches Charity Internet Auction
For the Irish Horse Welfare Trust (IHWT)

St. Patrick’s Day saw Ruby Walsh, recently crowned Leading Jockey at the Cheltenham Festival, take time out to launch the 2009 Charity Internet Auction on behalf of the Irish Horse Welfare Trust (IHWT). Walsh, who was racing at Wexford Racecourse, donned the top item for auction – a plain set of grey colours with free life registration estimated to be worth at least €40,000. Other much sought after items, all of which can be found at www.ihwt.ie/auction, include a trip to Dubai, a painting and print by Rolling Stone Ron Wood, the chance to play a round of golf with Ruby Walsh, visits to famous racing yards (Aidan O’Brien, Paul Nicholls) and signed silks/breeches of famous horses and jockeys (Frankie Dettori, Tony McCoy).

In total there are 180 items, offering a huge variety of choice and which should appeal to a broad spectrum of racing enthusiasts, being auctioned over two weeks, with the deadline for the first 90 being next Monday (23rd March at 5pm) and the remainder the following Monday (30th March).

The IHWT, Ireland’s leading equine welfare charity, rescues, rehabilitates and re-homes neglected or abused horses and ponies countrywide, currently caring for around 50 equines in total. The IHWT launched this unique Internet Auction to pay for and provide additional facilities needed at their recently purchased farm in Woodenbridge, Co Wicklow where it is now permanently based. Residents at the farm currently include rescued horses and ponies of various types, sizes and ages, along with 14 ex-racehorses which are in a special programme to be retrained for re-homing having completed a racing career.

A similar Internet Auction in 2005 was very successful and in the region of €160,000 was raised. Despite the current financial climate, the IHWT is optimistic that a similar or hopefully even higher target can be achieved, and so is asking all horse lovers and racing fans to log on to the website www.ihwt.ie/auction during the last two weeks of March to bid for items.

For further information, please contact:
Perrin O’Dwyer PR – Tel; 087-2831793 or email info@podpublicrelations.com or
Irish Horse Welfare Trust (IHWT), Ballinamona, Woodenbridge, Co Wicklow. Tel (0404) 45720, Email: info@ihwt.ie

I saw that this auction was going on, items look to be attracting high bids too, which is good news for the charity but bad news for me as can't afford any of them now! :D

Well done to all the trainers, jockeys and owners who have donated the items.

I saw that this auction was going on, items look to be attracting high bids too, which is good news for the charity but bad news for me as can't afford any of them now! :D

Well done to all the trainers, jockeys and owners who have donated the items.

Yeah some really nice prizes.

I've been through them and narrowed them down to about five or six both personally and for Winning Ways. There is not great strength in depth in the auction but still, for a good cause.

There's plenty of stuff of interest to UK racegoers, by the way, including deals for Perth, York, Ascot, Wincanton, etc.

I've been through them and narrowed them down to about five or six both personally and for Winning Ways. There is not great strength in depth in the auction but still, for a good cause.

just been on there again and they have updated it from yesterday and it looks much better now. They took off some of the €50 items and added things like Paul Nicholls day. I've gone and bid on that one and will keep bidding away. I will never have enough money to have a horse with him. If anyone spots one of interest at the UK courses or events or indeed would consider another sharing like we did previously, let me know.

If anyone is interested in the Paul Nicholls visit (two people), I am happy to put in a joint bid. Currently €500. doesn't close until 30 March so plenty of time to mull over. I reckon it will go for a grand+ but given the charity, am happy to pay half.

Back