BBC Racing and racecourse commentator John Hunt...awful news

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
The breaking story on the news right now (not announced on the BBC but is elsewhere) is that the crossbow shooting in Bushey, Herts involves his family. He returned home last night from commentating and found them. Thoughts are with him and cannot begin to comprehend what he’s going through.

This is absolutely devastating news for John, who will Iive with this for the rest of his life. I've no doubt racing will rally behind John emotionally and in anyway they can. I'm so sorry. I'm choking up.

I was in the Enfield area where this dreadful person is from over the previous weekend staying with my friend. What a basteward this killer is.
I wish I could do some serious damage to him right now.

Last edited:
This is absolutely devastating news. For John, who will Iive with this for the rest of his life, but also for anyone with an ounce of humanity. Plus all us racing fans aswell. I've no doubt racing will rally behind John emotionally and in anyway they can. I'm so sorry. I'm choking up.

I was in the Enfield area where this dreadful person is from over the previous weekend staying with my friend. What a basteward this killer is.
I wish I could do some serious damage to him right now.
Heartbreaking for all The Family & Friends... thinking of you all 🙏🙏🙏🙏

That is just horrendous news. What a horrible bastard you would need to be to do that. Poor John, I hope he can get as much support as possible to try to cope with such a devastating loss

We can find joy in our every day lives but these sort of events just add to me fearing for my daughters and their future in this increasingly shitty world. I hope he gets all of the support he needs and they find the perp alive so that he would spend his life wishing he had turned it on himself

Cant see them taking him down Geordie nit with a crossbow against armed police.

Apparently he knew the women and targeted them. Most that knew him said he was pretty normal

We may find he was rejected by one of the daughters something cracked and he sought revenge.

Either way he has taken a man's family from him and deserves to die...not fed and clothed for the next 30 years

Absolutely tragic, as others have said I can't even begin to comprehend how you come to terms with something like that

I’m deeply shocked to hear this awful news. No punishment is too harsh for the psychopath who did this

They found him hiding in a cemetery. Turns out as I suspected he's the ex boyfriend of one of the daughters.

Turns out his older brother is already serving time for murder.

This is anyone’s worst nightmare.

I hope John Hunt and those close to him and his family will find the support they are going to need.

Just truly awful news. As a parent, this is your worst nightmare come true. RIP to the three whose lives were taken. Lost for words.

Back