Benjamin Boutin

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
Posted by a friend of mine on another forum - the death of French jockey Benjamin Boutin.

A dramatic fall has changed the meeting Saturday at Argentan on the occasion of the sixth race of the program.
After a false start, the pack was in fact entering the first turn when Game Of Legs and Benjamin Boutin could not prevent the fall when the competitor that preceded it has fallen back to the rope, causing the same also falls suddenly Captain Bandito, Mallow and New Angel.
If the health of Teddy Richer, Nicolas Even , Sylvain Bellanger and not worrying despite very strong shocks, that of Benjamin Boutin was alarmed, however.
Remained motionless on the track, the apprentice of Pascal Bary was immediately supported by the medical service of the racecourse in a coma and transferred by ambulance to the hospital of Argentan.
Two hours after the accident, doctors spoke of a cerebral hemorrhage, resulting in an inability to transfer the boy to the University Hospital of Caen.
And around 17 hours, the doctor told us the racetrack brain death of the young jockey of 21 years.
Benjamin Boutin had Joel Remy as the first master trainer before working in the service of Didier Prod'homme four years and then joining Cedric Boutin.

RIP Benjamin Boutin.

Martin

Awful news - Davy Russells interview in the Field today raised the Kieran Kelly death as his worst day in racing. Tough times.

That's been mentioned a few times in recent interviews by various different jockeys OTB.

Racing Post reporting he's "gravely injured" and as my article was translated by a French lady etc. it's possible that it's wrong - hope it is and that he's just seriously injured :(

Only just over two years since Guillaume Javoy died in a jumps race in the provinces too I believe.

What can one say? It's a dreadful shock to all his co-riders, family and friends, and we are just so very blessed not to see more human fatalities given the amount of riding jockeys do - not just in race situations, but schooling and work riding fast and powerful horses all the year through. My sincere condolences to all.

Even when a doctor believes there is some hope of progression in his patient they'll adapt some encouraging words, but to hear the results of which have been reported as "extremely negative" is tragic.

I do hope there is some turn around in fortune for young Boutin but even if there was, what sort of life would he be living?

My thoughts go out to his friends and family, a very sad story and a reminder to us all what a dangerous sport this is.

Last edited:
Back