Best And Worst of 2011

Moment - falling in love with a horse called Hoof It - and realising that I quite like sprint races if I have to sit through the flat racing...

Performance - Hoof Its win at Goodwood carrying 10stone. and Kauto at Haydock. and one to come on the 27th at Kempton... and still waiting for Daisy to come out and blow everyone away.... ;)

Hero - The Tatling. (even though he beat Norbit last time!) and Kinkeel - still going!!

Villain - not too sure really - JHJ was a bastard for what he did, the rule breakers were idiots, some of the stories werent quite how people think they were, so its hard to say really - so guess mainly its the BHB for the ridiculous whip rule changes.

Bet - Im rubbish, so I dont really bet that much - not had many wins, but the odd one here and there. Have got a few anti posts for cheltenham, but pennies really. Oh - and one in the National :)

Troods, me to Tony Carroll's assistant at Plumpton last meeting:

"How's darling KINKEEL?"

"He's fine, Tony's really pleased with him."

"Good, I really, really adore him."

"Tony?"

"Uh, well, I like Tony a lot, yeah, but I was talking about the horse."

Moment: Proving Peddlers Cross isn't slow in the Champion Hurdle.
Performance: Frankel in the 2000 Guineas
Hero: Nick Williams
Villain: Howard Johnson
Best bet(s) of 2011: Overturn (Chester Cup), The Minack (Badger Ales)
Best bet(s) of 2012: Hinterland e/w at 16/1 in the Triumph Hurdle.

Moment - Wasn't a vintage Derby but I thought Pour Moi and Barzalona's antics in the Derby made for a great spectacle.

Performance - Unoriginal but Frankel's Guineas was something else.

Hero - Mirco Demuro's ride on Victoire Pisa was genius in so many ways and plenty of jockeys could learn from it.

Villain - Plenty of jockeys that shouldn't have licences after some of the displays on the all-weather this season but Paul Doe deserves a mention. Pretty much single handedly corrupted and destroyed Greg Fairley's (who was incredibly naive) career if you believe what you hear.

Bet for 2012: Orfevre will win the Arc unless a fantastic three year old comes out of the woodwork and he/she really will have to be something exceptional. This horse is only going to improve and beat a host of G1 horses on Xmas day with considerable ease.

Last edited:
Moment of 2011: Being in the Winner's Circle at Churchill with St.Nick in the family madness and delight that followed St.Nick's win. (And possibly the rest of that day and into next morning ;) )

Performance of 2011: Frankel in the Guineas for sheer jaw dropping talent or Pour Moi in the Derby for keeping his head down despite the French prat's idiot antics!

Hero of 2011: The Tatling and Kauto Star.

Villain(s) of 2011: The BHA for the ridiculous whip issues!

Moment: Kauto Star on Boxing Day
Performance: Frankel on Sussex Stakes day
Hero: Kauto Star
Villain: Howard Johnson

Kauto winning the Betfair was great but I fuly expected it but the King George was just something else. Couldn't be there to see it live but I the eyes were fixed frimly on him as he approached the last and I kept saying c'mon son please don't fall please jump it and when he did it sent shivers up my spine and a huge sigh of relief.

In contrast watching Kauto Star stagger up the hill at Cheltenham barely able to put one leg in front of the other was the pits.

On the flat Frankel simple as.

Moment: Sizing Europe (Champion Chase)
Performance: Frankel (2000 Guineas)
Hero: Kauto Star (King George Chase, Betfair et al)
Villain: BHA (Totally out of their ground on whip issue)
Bet: Carruthers (National)

Back