Best Bet of 2009

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
What do the panel nominate as the best bet of 2009?

In the event I can't find prices on Zenyatta for the Breeders Cup Classic and it wouldn't be right to tip up a horse for "whichever race he runs in at Cheltenham" I'm kind of stuck for one really good bet for the 2009 season.

Good shout Flame.

Naaqoos for the Guineas.

Montmarte/Conduit in any Middle Distance Group One races.

Can't seem them aiming him at the Gold Cup after his Breeders Cup Turf success Isinglass. If they do go for a big one at 2m+ I don't think it'll be as soon as June.

With the bets for Yeats, you are just betting on the trainer keeping him sound. Nothing coming from last year's bunch to trouble him and Septimus won't take him on.

Not one to talk up a horse to beat a legend like Yeats but I was very impressed with the Spanish horse Bannaby late last year Gal. Was stopped in his tracks when behind Kasbah Bliss and subsequently won a big pot in France. Reportedly targeted at this race and as with all foreign horses will be overpriced on the day.

The problem with taking on Yeats is you are not just taking on a great horse, but a horse who is racing in his ideal conditions. Coastal Path would probably have gone very close against Yeats over most courses and distances but the extended Gold Cup trip makes it very hard to beat the O'Brien horse.

But forgetting about him, Cooldine is made for the SunAlliance Chase....get on!

What made Yeats hard to beat last season was his main opposition at Goodwood and Longchamps sitting lengths adrift and leaving him unchallenged. On the other hand, at Ascot Kelly had a rush of blood on Geordieland going for the lead 2 out and blowing what was a good chance.

Difficult to see what might beat him but I would like to see any jockeys on good horses not gifting Yeats a cosy 6 length advantage and saying 'after you' !! Goodwood in particular was a joke. ( tungsten strike excepted )

Calgary Bay Will, you will be joined by at least one other forumite with that horse, but 'for me' the horse doesn't want to know, for whatever reason. I thought he ducked in behind I'msingingtheblues at Doncaster when he looked the likely winner jumping the last, and that Nicholls horse would usually go under in a battle. I don't think it was the first time Calgary Bay has turned down a win either.

Grumbling over

RAINBOW VIEW for the 1000 Guineas. I thought she was already over the top at Ascot. To get away with that in a group 1 was a bit of a feat. Back to her best on the return to the course she will be something else. Ignore all this lack of size and scope nonsense, she's plenty big enough.

GONE TO LUNCH ( surpriise ) RSA Chase , or the 4 miler if they go for that.

dark horse off the top of my head MEYYAL really liked him at Doncaster, was a big price in a maiden and ran a nice race.

We forgot this chap for every damn thing he runs in...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G1MoVkUljx8

Agree with Bannaby Martin, the foreign raiders are always overpriced at Ascot bar the Australians who are underpriced in the sprints. I fear Overdose won't be overpriced though.

I can't see Conduit running at Cup distances, the middle distance division looks poor next year and I can't see the three year olds troubling him, I'd like to see have him contest the Arc this year, he wouldn't have beat Zarkava but he wouldn't have been far behind, he'll only improve too which is scary. I'd suspect it'll be a Ganay, Coronation Cup, King George, Breeders Cup, Arc, Japan, Hong Kong schedule for him.

I think Rainbow View will be put in her place massively by Proportional if she turns up at Newmarket.

I agree with you Will about Calgary Bay - I'd been waiting for him to run over fences ever since I saw him before he ran in a bumper.

Diamond Harry in the RSA hurdle.

Not usually one for taking a price about the coming years racing, but 'Crowded house' for the Derby.

10/1 Coral.

Last edited:
If you're posting up tips at least find the bloody prices!

Yeats can be backed at 7/2 for the Ascot Gold Cup.

Bloody hell Gearoid, you want blood too????

DIamond Harry in the RSA hurdle - widely available at 7/2. Happy now?!

The only reason he will be a lot shorter is if neither of the Mullins pair make the race; let's hope that's not the case.

As regards all foreign horses being a bigger price then they should be -what about Coastal Path who ensured Yeats was an unbelieveable 6/4 on Ascot Gold Cup morning.

As regards all foreign horses being a bigger price then they should be -what about Coastal Path who ensured Yeats was an unbelieveable 6/4 on Ascot Gold Cup morning.
Most foreign horses then Luke. There's a theory we seem to have in the UK (and from the bookies point of view it makes sense) that our horses are superior (a bookie probably won't lay anything other than the British horses - same in French races, Italian races etc.) If you find a good horse from a smaller nation ie. Germany, Spain, Italy etc. or a smaller trainer then you'll be on to a winner.

Take Maurice Delcher-Sanchez, a Spanish trainer. He's run 3 horses in Group 1 races (not individual G1's just generally), Suances won the Prix Jean Prat (his first G1 start), Equiano won the Kings Stand (his first G1 start) and Bannaby (his first G1 start was a win in the Prix Du Cadran). He was also something to do with Royal Gait I believe (my brief understanding of a Spanish TV feature on him).

Back