Bet 365 Gold Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter martin
  • Start date Start date
M

martin

Any thoughts on this?

I've had a small bet on Briery Fox, in anticiaption he gets in the race. O.K I basically need Roll Along to come out to be 1 pound out of the handicap (at a minimum), and if Darkness comes out i'd be on 10:4, but basically the current prices were too tempting for me not to take a chance, and the stake is small enough for me not to get too upset if i've got it wrong.

Briery is a horse i've never really payed much attention to but I couldn't help but think if there was a well handicapped horse in this race it was this one. Take a look at last two races; gets beat by Church Island who goes on to take second in the Irish National, and then beats Out The Black who franked the form in the Scottish National.

I'm always a bit hesitant about "franked form" as it's led me astray before, but does anyone agree the current price of 25/1 is worth taking?

Well i've took it anyway lol, as all things considered i'd make him about a 8/1 chance if he got in the race. I see Ladbrokes and Corals are ducking it early doors, hopefully a good sign.

Thoughts......

Last edited:
I did the race last night and am keeping my powder dry for a day or so yet. I can see Roll Along staying in.

I only have eyes for three! Oodachee, Kilbeggan Blade and Church Island. Oodachee will hopefully get his ground and seems in good order at the moment, Kilbeggan Blade can bounce back after the national and Church Island 'cos I always back him and he nearly did the business LTO!

What an awful race. I think this is the worst field I've seen for this race since I started watching racing. Almost £95,000 to the winner, and Darkness is top weight.

It's disappointing, but not really surprising.

It might as well officially become a veterans race at this rate !

I wonder whether it is time for a trial period of reducing the trip to say 3m or 3m 2f.

There are lots more valuable opportunities now for staying chasers at the end of the season- the race is almost three and three quarter miles and therefore unlikely that the Kauto Stars will run in it , and with the likelihood of fast ground it is a risk to stump up your top class chasers in this race when there are other options.

DO has suggested elsewhere that although it is valuable it is not valuable enough and the fact it had one sponsor for so long tends to diminish its value as a race to sponsor .

Agree with Katharine that it looks a distinctly average contest on the whole.

Will be interesting to see whether the likes of Hoo La Baloo and Oodachee stay the trip though.

Took 10s on Lacdoudal. Backed him in the RP Chase but he was always struggling that day given the pace the winner went at. He was better at Cheltenham but he needs a trip these days. It`s not a great renewal and i`m confident he`ll finish in the first three.

I think Johnson paniced a bit on my selection but Church Island was never going to win from that far in front. Hugely enjoyable race.

Went in for the win Russel, stupid in hindsight but I felt confident.

You think you've got the handicap snip, and the grim reaper nabs you on the line...

Fair play someone backed it.

Sorry guys but I'm one of the fortunate ones that took 11/1 Hennessy this morning.

I'm not sure he should have been called the winner immediately. I thought Briery Fox just held on but I'm never sure of the finishing angles at Sandown!

Any thoughts on this?

I've had a small bet on Briery Fox, in anticiaption he gets in the race. O.K I basically need Roll Along to come out to be 1 pound out of the handicap (at a minimum), and if Darkness comes out i'd be on 10:4, but basically the current prices were too tempting for me not to take a chance, and the stake is small enough for me not to get too upset if i've got it wrong.

Briery is a horse i've never really payed much attention to but I couldn't help but think if there was a well handicapped horse in this race it was this one. Take a look at last two races; gets beat by Church Island who goes on to take second in the Irish National, and then beats Out The Black who franked the form in the Scottish National.

I'm always a bit hesitant about "franked form" as it's led me astray before, but does anyone agree the current price of 25/1 is worth taking?

Well i've took it anyway lol, as all things considered i'd make him about a 8/1 chance if he got in the race. I see Ladbrokes and Corals are ducking it early doors, hopefully a good sign.

Thoughts......

great spot Martin, so looked the winner

And what a helluva ride from McCoy!

Anyone else think things looked a bit muted from Carl Llewelyn in the winners enclosure? To me he just looked a bit subdued - you've just trained one of your biggest winners and you stand there and mumble "oh well I've hada crap season?" Anyone else think things might not be looking overly rosey in the Carl/MarkP/MalcolmD setup?

And what a helluva ride from McCoy!

Anyone else think things looked a bit muted from Carl Llewelyn in the winners enclosure? To me he just looked a bit subdued - you've just trained one of your biggest winners and you stand there and mumble "oh well I've hada crap season?" Anyone else think things might not be looking overly rosey in the Carl/MarkP/MalcolmD setup?

Seems that way; "That might just save us" was a telling quote. Carl is normally so effusive, so his muted response to victory must tell a story.

Sorry guys but I'm one of the fortunate ones that took 11/1 Hennessy this morning.

I'm not sure he should have been called the winner immediately. I thought Briery Fox just held on but I'm never sure of the finishing angles at Sandown!

It was clear he'd won. The Channel 4 pictures were tuned into the wrong winning post.

It certainly was very clear he'd won straightaway and he always looked like getting up from about half a furlong out.

I can't agree that the race should be reduced in trip - then it becomes yet another 3m handicap, nothing special, there's one of those every day. The thing that makes it a decent race is that it is different in being 3m5f. So it wasn't a vintage renewal - some people say that about every race anyway, so who cares? The small matter of the ground being fast put off most potential runners anyway, not the race itself.

Back