Bet 365 Gold Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter martin
  • Start date Start date
Like Euro I thought It was a hugely entertaining race to watch; mostly thanks to how Church Island was ridden.

I can't agree that the race should be reduced in trip - then it becomes yet another 3m handicap, nothing special, there's one of those every day. The thing that makes it a decent race is that it is different in being 3m5f. So it wasn't a vintage renewal - some people say that about every race anyway, so who cares? The small matter of the ground being fast put off most potential runners anyway, not the race itself.

Well said, SL.

I agree totally! It was not that long ago that people were barking to reduce the trip in the Cheltenham Gold Cup because they said that real 3 mile champions were not winning it only plodders.

And then ..... along came Best Mate, Kauto Star and Denman. And droves of people went to Cheltenham just to see those 3 horses win that one race.

Poor field but great race . One very big thing in the race's favour is how many great finishes it produces .

I agree with the sentiments about not changing things. I was really interested in the race yesterday from a betting angle and as I thought I had a good chance of being a grand or two better off before the race I was really looking forward to it.

As it turned out it was a perfect race for your big players; people who just wanted to get a nice winner (like me!), but also a great sporting spectacle with a great race and finish; one for the 2 pound punters as well.

Unluckily for me I didn't anaylize Briery's form properly, for if I did I would have seen he was a bit flat footed on firm ground at the business end of his races. Hence I could (depending on how much was layed a 1/50 in running) made a small fortune - the thing that winds me up is i've done it before, my biggest wins have been by backing something and then laying it at a Harry findlay price!

The reason it didn't occur to me yesterday was the fact I was really looking forward to the race, and trying to get the winner, the money was an afterthought. I'm sure we've all been there at some stage of out betting lives!

I'm a great admirer of Carl so if it's saved his bacon then i'm a happy loser......

Last edited:
Back