Bet Victor Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Nov 17th

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
These are apparently the confirmed entries for this year's race:

10/1 Baron Alco, Mister Whitaker, Rather Be, Rene's Girl

12/1 Romain De Senam, Thistlecrack
14/1 Happy Diva, Ramses De Teillee, Aso, Frodon
16/1 Ballyandy, Benatar, Full Glass, Kalondra, Kings Socks, Le Prezien, Sizing Granite, West Approach
20/1 Adrien Du Pont, Copain De Classe, Janika, Javert, Magic Saint, Modus, Movewiththetimes, Shantou Village, Splash Of Ginge, Top Gamble
25/1 Activial, Ballybolley, Beggars Wishes, Born Survivor, Casablanca Mix, Cloudy Dream, Dolos, Garde La Victoire, Guitar Pete, Shanahans Turn, Theinval, Zamdy Man
33/1 Black Scorpion, Bouvreuil, Cepage, Cobra De Mai, Crievehill, Eamon An Cnoic, Geordie Des Champs, Willie Boy; 50/1 Henryville, Sister Sybil, Whoshotwho

Last edited:
Might depend on how the handicapper reacts to the win the other day.

There will be other Grade 1 prospects in the race too.

They better be fit to keep up with Frodon. Some great names have won this like Dunkirk, Gay Trip, Cancello, Man Alive, Fifty Dollars More, Beau Rager Bradbury Star etc

Apart from Thistlecrack and Frodon I am struggling to find one that will be remembered if it wins this.

I doubt if many could tell us which horse won it last year without looking.

Magic Saint

The ex French 4 year old of Paul Nicholls looks very interesting and see the opening 25-1 has been taken

Might not make the cut, then. At 8/9lbs wfa it's the equivalent of 136/137 for an older horse.

Only 51 entries by the look of it so should be fine.

Last edited:
Same sire as Iris Saint and Djakadam Magic Saint has decent form already but to throw him straight into a race like this at Cheltenham? I have serious doubts even PN would do that.

Wouldn't be cheap and steady away is surely on the cards for him....My bet is if he's any good he'll be trained for the Festival.

Possible outsider Top Gamble 25/1? He looked like a winner waiting to happen all last season and was obviously being trained for the festival and he ran a cracker to finish 3rd in the Johnny Henderson

Is on the same mark and this doesn't look any tougher so I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry lee can get him fit she sends him

I really liked the way Mister Whitaker nosed his head in front to beat Rather Be at the festival, after a less than smooth run. Rather Be is technically better off for this, but ultimately he was still beaten and still carries four pound more here, on 149, as opposed to Mister Whitaker's 145. Mister Whitaker is entered up at Carlisle on Sunday where we shall see how he is coming along. Re-Magic Saint. He is an interesting entry for sure. He will be in the deep end here, even on a mark which means that he could potentially be ahead of the handicapper. On paper he looks well handicapped but how many times have we seen these types before. Well handicapped but fail to deliver? He will have to be some animal to win first out in The Bet Victor. Top Gamble could place in an average renewal but this year's looks a bit more competitive than average.

Last edited:
I doubt if many could tell us which horse won it last year without looking.
Splash Of Ginge wasn't it? I mentioned him three weeks before as an anti post possible fancy for The Bet Victor, but he ran a shocker at Wetherby I think was, a few weeks before winning this race. Needless to say I didn't have a penny on, as the Wetherby run was awful. Typical!

Last edited:
Is that the race in Carlisle that is usually a Hennessey trial?

Good point. I have a sneaky suspicion they might go for The Hennessy, as from watching Mister Whitakers races I reckon he could be an even better horse stepped up in trip. He is about twice the price for The Hennessy than The Bet Victor. Will keep an eye on his entries and declarations. There's a chance he will go for one race or the other, or actually take in both races. Who knows.

Last edited:
Good point. I have a sneaky suspicion they might go for The Hennessy, as from watching Mister Whitakers races I reckon he could be an even better horse stepped up in trip. He is about twice the price for The Hennessy than The Bet Victor. Will keep an eye on his entries and declarations. There's a chance he will go for one race or the other, or actually take in both races. Who knows.

I'd much rather be on for the Hennessey at double the price. If he wins at Carlisle he'll shorten right up for it.

I really liked the way Mister Whitaker nosed his head in front to beat Rather Be at the festival, after a less than smooth run. Rather Be is technically better off for this, but ultimately he was still beaten and still carries four pound more here, on 149, as opposed to Mister Whitaker's 145. Mister Whitaker is entered up at Carlisle on Sunday where we shall see how he is coming along. Re-Magic Saint. He is an interesting entry for sure. He will be in the deep end here, even on a mark which means that he could potentially be ahead of the handicapper. On paper he looks well handicapped but how many times have we seen these types before. Well handicapped but fail to deliver? He will have to be some animal to win first out in The Bet Victor. Top Gamble could place in an average renewal but this year's looks a bit more competitive than average.

On better ground I'd be very confident Rather Be would reverse form.

Last edited:
Back