Bet365 Gold Cup Sandown

While I totally agree with the sentiment, imo Tidal Bay's win owed more to the ground and the distance than it did to Tanlic's prescience. Well done to the man, though. :)
Interesting aside by PN afterwards, that Aintree (a race that wouldn't have favoured TB's weaknesses) was a prep race for this.

Excellent picture on the Sporting Life site. I have never seen a horse win so easily yet still look so thoroughly unhappy. I couldn't have been having him in a million years to be honest.

Sprinter Sacre vs Sanctuaire - Tingle Creek 2013.

I'm looking forward to that one already. I thought he was deeply impressive yesterday.

May well happen, to find out if there's any sense in trying to win the QMCC, but I immediatelly thought Ryanair for Sanctuaire.

Reading Daryl Jacob"s quoute saying he had Ruby and PN to thank for telling him what to do/how to ride him give the impression they were thinking he'd see the trip out in the ground better than the rest. He's also won over 2m3f so a step up in trip must surely be at least on the edge of the table.

The other thing to consider is watching how the other jockey'were reacting to what was going on yesterday. Dominic Elseworth was still sitting motionless after they took the water jump and it wasn't until approaching the 3rd last he realised Sanctuaire was going further ahead and not coming back.

Great jumping performance but all things considered IMO it's a million miles form taking on Sprinter Sacre.

I am interested to see what rating the handicapper comes up with because he's going to have to try fairly hard to keep Sanctuaire below Sprinter Sacre I think. It does seem ridiculous to suggest that the best novice chaser for however many years won't even be Champion Novice but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility at all. In fact, on that showing, I think Sanctuaire probably should be ahead of him on official ratings.

And on a line through every other horse in the race except for Dan Breen which would put him a couple of pounds below Sprinter Sacre.

You can't take form lines in that ground literally.

Sanctuaire was arguably as impressive as any Sprinter Sacre performance this season but there is also the suspicion that the other riders allowed him to run his own race out in front.

Hawk Wing's Lockinge...

You can't take form lines in that ground literally.

Sanctuaire was arguably as impressive as any Sprinter Sacre performance this season but there is also the suspicion that the other riders allowed him to run his own race out in front.

Hawk Wing's Lockinge...

I could not agree more. I would have posted similar yesterday but as a Somersby backer I didn't want to post through my pocket.

I think the jockeys in behind were aware of the situation pretty early on. They weren't riding their mounts along but they were niggling and making no impression. The telling thing for me was that they closed him down under hard pressure turning towards the Pond Fence and towards the last (but not as quickly as I was expecting), but then Sanctuaire, when Jacob asks him to quicken, starts to draw away again after the last.

You can't take the formlines literally because that could put him into the 180+ bracket but I think it is at the very least on a par with what Sprinter Sacre has achieved and I would think it worthy of a higher bare rating.

I was concerned about the ground for Sanctuaire and fully expect him to appreciate better ground. If you ask me I'd rather take 12/1 about him than 5/4 about Sprinter Sacre.

Last edited:
The thing that really impressed me was Sanctuaire's jumping. To jump as big and well out of that ground simply took the breath away. In 40+ years of watching racing, I can't remember any other horse doing that in that kind of ground.

The Tingle Creek might be worth walking all the way to see.

Back