Betfair Hurdle 2023

Marb

Journeyman
I think the entries are out, based on a few firms quoting odds on the event.

Although I can't see them on the Racing Post yet.

Entries closed a little earlier. I have the list, but by the time I type them out, they'll probably be on the RP site.

FWIW, I've had an early marker-bet on Lallygag. (20/1).

Ok. I'll have a look at Lallygag.

No surprise No Ordinary Joe is right up there at the head of the market.

Third in a strong looking Greatwood from 2021. He would surely have a live chance assuming he gets there on the day.

He still has a lifetime best to give I reckon. I suppose the same could be said for a few of them though, including Lallygag.

Last edited:
I've done Might I 16/1 ew

Gaelic warrior is favourite after last years fred winter.
In the front of the betting for the supreme,ballymore,m.pipe,county hurdle.

Maybe some caution with Might I, Outsider.

Pre-season quote "The £125,000 3m handicap hurdle at Haydock on Betfair Chase day is his first target. Was runner-up in a Grade 1 last season and faced mission impossible at Sandown in December trying to concede 6lb to Constitution Hill, but, being a half-brother to the National Hunt Chase winner Stattler, we feel he could be progressive stepping up in trip.

"The handicap at Haydock has been used as a springboard for the likes of Paisley Park and Sam Spinner to go into the Graded staying division so it’ll be interesting to see if he can progress into a horse of that calibre."

But it went (seemingly) wrong in that Haydock race. Although they said he ran too free. If they've worked that out, they could have another go at 3 miles somewhere rather than drop back.

...and a much more recent quote:

Metier and Might I are both due to run at Lingfield's Winter Million card next weekend, so we've got the entry just in case for the Betfair Hurdle. There's no immediate plans to take either of them there though, it's all about Lingfield.

"The focus is Gin Coco. We'll see if he's good enough, but he's run some nice races, so hopefully he can keep progressing and be competitive."

Oh well,never mind.
He did pull a bit in the haydock race but travelled well and didnt seem to stay.
I will be keeping an eye on him.
On his runs against CH and jonbon last year I thought its mark around 142 was if interest.
Maybe something like the coral cup?

...and a much more recent quote:

Metier and Might I are both due to run at Lingfield's Winter Million card next weekend, so we've got the entry just in case for the Betfair Hurdle. There's no immediate plans to take either of them there though, it's all about Lingfield.

"The focus is Gin Coco. We'll see if he's good enough, but he's run some nice races, so hopefully he can keep progressing and be competitive."

Metier looks destined for Lingfield unless the ground is not soft enough.

Been back to the drawing board.I wish Persian War was running it would make things a lot easier:lol:

A horse I don't particulary like but has two ways of running is Tritonic.

Alan King gave him a couple of runs when he showed nothing before landing a bit of a touch in The Betfair Exchange Hurdle at Ascot

Worth a couple of quid to find out of he can strike again but in the Betfair Hurdle proper this time. Can have 33/1 on the exchange

Last edited:
I'd love to trust what trainers says but I just cant.in fact I dont trust anyone anymore.
Harry Fry says there isnt a plan to run Might I in the betfair so why waste the owners money.with Lingfield off hes entered it for Cheltenham on saturday so he seems to want to get a run into it for something.
The betfair is one of the best prize money races all season so why not go for it.

Emmit Mullins innit. Can I be honest/sacrilegious and say this race/line-up leaves me cold and flaccid but the Lincoln entries are out and I got a twinge. Some crackers in that.

I reckon No Ordinary Joe has a really good chance I really do. I hope he is an intended runner.

I reckon No Ordinary Joe has a really good chance I really do. I hope he is an intended runner.

Yes, he seems to be over his problems and it was a strong win last time - destined for chasing according to Henderson.

He has two others entered - First Street who was third last year as a “progressive novice”, but 11lb higher now and Impilsive One who has been running ok, but is “weighted up to the hilt” according to RP. The handicappers don’t take many chances with Henderson runners.

Looks like the ground will be a mess

Good to firm ground according to the COTC and they can't water

Story behind a paywall on RP

23 Acceptors. Think this is them:

Aucunrisque
Colonel Mustard
Deere Mark
Faivoir
Filey Bay
First Street
Gin Coco
Glorious Zoff