Big Buck's

Nicholls has been trying to buy his younger brother Bucks Boum but been told he's not for sale - they want to stand him at stud when he retires.

The front pair look very high class staying hurdlers to me. Taking nothing away from ID's achievement in the race I would expect these two to be at least as good. We've been spoilt in recent years with the likes of Baracouda and Iris's Gift. To have another pair on their coat tails is very exciting. I guess the future of BB at least is over the bigger obstacles though.

I rate Bick Bucks 176P on Thursdays run.
Inglis Drever never run for me higher than 169.

Yes ID obviously did brilliantly to win three times, but the bottom line is that I've seen better World (Stayers) Hurdle winners.

ID's style wasn't really conducive to being rated more than he was. There'd still be plenty who would back him at the top of his form to beat BB and Punchestowns, though.

yes... this probably makes sense, but I'm sort of hoping connections will leave the door open for a World Hurdle. I think Punchestowns is so exciting, but would probably prefer BB as a chaser.

The Henderson team and mick Fitzgerald in particular see him as a gold cup horse so I'd be disappointed to see him campaigned over hurdles next season

The Henderson team and mick Fitzgerald in particular see him as a gold cup horse so I'd be disappointed to see him campaigned over hurdles next season

I love the World Hurdle (which has been better class than the Champion Hurdle in most recent years) and would love to see Punchestowns win the stayers crown next year (rather than the RSA chase for example), but I suppose if they are set on the Gold Cup (in 2011) then a novice chasing season is in store.

ID had nothing to beat. They were about 160-164.

Barracouda was about 172 at his best without taking into account what he might have had in reserve. His contemporaries were donkeys too. Rhinestone Cowboy might have been over 170 if he'd remained OK and Black Jack Ketchum might have been better than them all.

Nice to see some genuinely top class stayers on the scene.

He beat the shadow of Baracouda...

Baracouda was never the same horse after Iris's Gift broke his heart in the 2004 Stayers Hurdle.

Iris's Gift - another 170+ stayer that suffered misfortune.

Last edited:
And yet amazingly, was still a shorter price the day he was beaten by Inglis Drever than he was for the two years that he won it.

He was probably in slight decline at the time but this was exacerbated by what I believe, and that is that he wouldn't go a yard for McCoy.

ID had nothing to beat. They were about 160-164.

Barracouda was about 172 at his best without taking into account what he might have had in reserve. His contemporaries were donkeys too. Rhinestone Cowboy might have been over 170 if he'd remained OK and Black Jack Ketchum might have been better than them all.

Nice to see some genuinely top class stayers on the scene.

BJK better than them all . Are you mad? Surely not

Key qualification: might have been.

I'm not convinced the failure we saw in his second season was the true BJK. His novice form was outstanding.

According to RPRs Baracouda ran on eight occasions at between 171 and 176, Punchestowns has done that twice, Big Bucks once and Inglis Drever just once.

Back