Big Buck's

According to RPRs Baracouda ran on eight occasions at between 171 and 176, Punchestowns has done that twice, Big Bucks once and Inglis Drever just once.

Indeed.

Shame that their credibility is further blow to pieces by awarding Inglis Drever the 170+ for beating Kasbah Bliss a length, and giving him lower ratings for beating both Mighty Man and Baracouda!:rolleyes:

To be fair, Baracouda was past his best when ID beat him, and Mighty Man was a far better animal at Aintree than Cheltenham.

That may be so, Euro - but both put up performances better than Kasbah Bliss did last year. The race was massively over-rated on the back of Drever-Fever - you only need to look at the distance Kazal was beaten, to see how comparatively bad it was.

I'm no great lover or follower of the stayers scene....

But Inglis Drever was a terrific horse..I cannot for the life of me understand how two relative newbies could be rated far superior to him......Inglis was a machine, so was Baracouda....Limestone Lad not a donkey, neither was Bannow Bay [send him on Charlie!] or Iris Gift

It's only 2lbs, not really far superior. Also the rating will be based, at least partly, around Powerstation running to his very best (the RP's similar rating certainly is) and their may be good reason to lower it in the future if he fails to uphold it.

I'm not convinced the failure we saw in his second season was the true BJK. His novice form was outstanding.

Though he could hardly have done it any easier, the form of his Festival win looks distinctly average with the benefit of hindsight. I fail to see a single piece of form that qualify as anywhere even approaching outstanding actually.

That's not to say he might not have been a great horse BTW. As you say, might have been being the key words though.

I dont think BB is better than Baracouda or Limestone LAd , but has the scope to be better than those champions

Though he could hardly have done it any easier, the form of his Festival win looks distinctly average with the benefit of hindsight. I fail to see a single piece of form that qualify as anywhere even approaching outstanding actually.

That's not to say he might not have been a great horse BTW. As you say, might have been being the key words though.

The caning of Blazing Bailey in the Relkeel was outstanding on any analysis .Thrashin Powerstation and Neptune Collonges is not poor form either The horse evidently went wrong afterwards - why who knows ? Wind ,bleeding joints whatever ...

If the race was tomorrow I`d be betting BB. Those new ratings are about right.He keeps finding more and the best is to come. I think we all agree he would be an even better chaser, but if he were mine,with the staying hurdles at his mercy,and of course I already owned the top chasers,I would be staying hurdling. No brainer really,but what a pleasure it was to watch and bet him,through last season. Roll on BB.

BB didn't look a natural over fences but was a revelation in hurdles over a longer trip.

I'd much rather see him where he excels rather than aimed at something that doesn't look so easy for him, so hopefully he will line up again for the World Hurdle.

If the race was tomorrow I`d be betting BB. Those new ratings are about right.He keeps finding more and the best is to come. I think we all agree he would be an even better chaser, but if he were mine,with the staying hurdles at his mercy,and of course I already owned the top chasers,I would be staying hurdling. No brainer really,but what a pleasure it was to watch and bet him,through last season. Roll on BB.

Stewart doesn't own any top chasers though and is desperate for one. Nicholl's probably owes him one as well and I think they thought this was the one, which he might well be if doesn't uproot each fence. Hurdles are just easier to knock out of the way. You don't see many champions who can't jump!

edited to say: Nicholl's often seems to talk up the Stewart horses a bit more than most. Pandering to him a bit probably. Tatenen being a classic example.

Last edited:
Probably the same ones who laughed at his suggestion that Denman was back to his best after Kempton, Tatanen would win the Arkle, Celestial Halo would win at Aintree etc.

Quite confident that BB will be winning a GC eventually,and jumping beautifully. I remember Nicholls comment but had already started seriously betting him at the previous Aintree. It was a lovely and profitable season except the one race from a BB perspective and Cheltenham was magnificent. Still holding some of the Euros.:rolleyes:

Back