Black Caviar

The Antipodean ZENYATTA! Although she's happy to race near the front. Fabulous beast - it would be a helluva treat to see her here.

Last edited:
It is quite strange watching her - it's as if the whole field somehow goes into slow motion - she doesn't seem to make any effort at all to find another couple of miles per hour and she hasn't, as far as I can see, had any really strong push from her jockey. He just seems to ease the reins and sit down into her - she understands this change, and scoots further ahead. There's no great business of flattening out, stretching her neck - nothing but the field staying in one place and her smoothly galloping away. Phenomenal. As you say, Suny, she could be a freak of nature.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that she is now on a float to Sydney to take on the cream up here.

She will race in a fortnight's time at WFA over 6f in the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes worth a nice $1,000,000.

There is also talk of a match race against the other champion mare, More Joyous under WFA conditions in the Group 1 All Aged Stakes. An absolute superstar in her own right, More Joyous is almost unbeatable at 7f.

Would love to now see her go to Singapore. She has really got nothing left in Australia, except maybe the Brisbane winter carnival.

Her record and details as follows:

* 2006 Brown Mare
Sire: Bel Esprit (AUS) http://www.elizapark.com.au/stallions_bel_esprit_pedigree.html

Dam: Helsinge. Unraced. Dam of two Named Foals, both winners:
* BLACK CAVIAR;
* MOSHE

Race Record: UNBEATEN 11:11 - $2,609,250
* Group 1 VRC Newmarket Handicap - 6f Handicap
* Group 1 VRC Lightning Stakes - 5f WFA
* Group 1 Patinack Farm Classic - 6f WFA
* Group 1 MVRC Will Reid Stakes - 6f WFA
* Group 2 MVRC Schweppes Stakes - 6f WFA
* Group 2 MRC Schillaci Stakes - 5f WFA
* Group 2 MVRC Australia Stakes - 6f WFA
* Group 2 VRC Danehill Stakes - 6f WFA
* Listed MVRC Arrow Training Plate - 6f Set Weights for Fillies & Mares
* Listed MRC Blue Sapphire Stakes - 6f Limited Weights
* VRC Cromwell Handicap - 5f Limited Weights

Black Caviar won again in Australia last night beating the top class Hay List for the fourth time this season. That's six group 1's and 13 unbeaten now... A truly remarkable mare and possibly even better than Zenyatta, Rachel Alexandra et al...

I hope they race her next year and bring her to Royal Ascot.

Just stunning. When you read the race, she's three wide off the bend with HAY LIST on the inner - it doesn't matter. HAY LIST is a terrific horse, but he needs a ram-jet strapped to his bum to beat her. They look to be meeting again at Doomben for the Doomben 10,000 but I will eat my socks if it isn't 14/14 for this superb mare.

I honestly think he has a massive chance of cracking at the mare in the straight race at Flemington in about a month's time. He will get the weight advantage.

He won the Group 1 Manikato Stakes about a fortnight ago

Thank God for No.14 - I was a bit worried about whether to Thai curry my socks, or eat them with a bolognese sauce. Needn't have worried for a second - another smoothly facile victory, even if GA didn't rate the oppo too much!

The second horse Karuta Queen is literally unbeatable over the 1000m and I think broke a long standing record at the distance a few weeks back at Randwick (to be confirmed as have been outside of the country for the past 5 weeks). She has over $1 million earnings and is a pretty darn good thing on her day.

The rest, they could honestly show up at the average Saturday meeting and win the Welters.

Back