Bloodbath...

I was just looking in the RP and it said Paradise Isle had gone for 13k,thought that couldn't possibly be right.

Originally posted by Galileo@Dec 4 2007, 08:09 AM
Darley also bought Satwa Queen for 3.4m...the money they have spent on bloodstock this year is almost frightening.
Think that depends on how much you've got :eek:

Thought Red Evie would have made more but I suppose her pedigree's not up to much.

Sounds like Kirsten Rausing's speech at her stallion parade was interesting:

From the RP:

Rausing blast at stallion monopoly in Newmarket
by Rachel Pagones

KIRSTEN RAUSING took the opportunity of her pre-Christmas stallion parade to give a sharp slap to one of her competitors in the Newmarket stallion business, suggesting that the Office of Fair Trading would disapprove of its “monopoly”status.

In front of a large assembly of guests, including several Kentucky stud owners and managers, as well as Dalham Hall manager Liam O'Rourke, the Lanwades stud owner took to the podium before the stallions entered the theatre, a corporate tent heated against the stormy night. Rausing cut an imposing figure as she raised her voice above the wind shuddering across the tent roof.

“When I arrived in Newmarket, nearly 28 years ago, there were 25 studs standing stallions. Now there are only a handful,” she began. “We have lost a whole generation of stallion managers and owners. This is a sad state of affairs.”

Referring to last week's Tattersalls December Foal Sale, where the clearance rate sunk from 82 per cent last year to 61 per cent, Rausing said the over-production of foals from unworthy mares had reached “near cataclysmic proportions”. She laid the blame for this squarely on one source – the creator of a “monopoly situation” in Newmarket.

“The Office of Fair Trading should take a great interest in this situation,” she said.
She added: “I myself shall be retiring a significant proportion of my broodmares,” which she described as “those who don't make the cut”. She later declined to specify them number or percentage of mares, which she said would be determined later.

Rausing did not name the stud which she implied was to blame for the monopoly.

Standing directly in front of the podium as she spoke was John Ferguson, chief adviser to Sheikh Mohammed's Darley breeding operation, who left immediately after the speech.

However, the following day, he issued a reply, saying: “Kirsten hosted a beautiful stallion parade with proven stallions and an exciting young prospect. She made a few of her opinions public, which she is entitled to. Not everyone agrees with her, but it is a free world.”

Rausing, a TBA council member who will take over as chairwoman on January 8, emphasised that she was giving her personal view and not representing any organisation to which she belonged

The mixed sale at Ascot yesterday was a disaster, with over 40% of the lots offered unsold. The average was down 25% on last year and the median 10%.

Goff's December NH sale which has just ended was very disappointing, with 55% of the lots offered failing to find buyers. The average and median prices were well down on last year.

Gawd, makes you really worried what's going to happen to some of these poor horses.
Of course some owners/trainers will be approached privately after the sales. All the same...

Things got even worse at the 3-day Tattersalls Ireland sale (flat and NH, mainly youngstock and broodmares) which ended yesterday with 65% of those offered failing to find buyers.

It will get even worse over the next couple of years, as even more foals and yearlings work their way through the system.

Quite honestly, a lot of these no bid/buybacks are going to end up as meat pretty quickly.

Back