Bloodstock 2011

Just looking at the sires who have their first stock on the racecourse this year.

There are a couple of sires who will be looking to play the numbers game, with fast juvenile winners, and lots of them. Horses like Red Clubs, Strategic Prince, Dark Angel and Amadeus Wolf.

And a few that might have a chance of joining the top ranks of sires like Dylan Thomas and Teofilo and even Manduro and Excellent Art.

Looking at the sales statistics, I see that Sir Percy's yearlings for around the same average as Manduro, in spite of his fee being a fraction of Manduro's.

Dylan Thomas's yearlings didn't do well either, in spite of a couple of big tickets.

My tips for the top are Teofilo and Dutch Art and Sir Percy as outsiders for a place at the top table.

Thoughts from the experts on here?

Just looking at the sires who have their first stock on the racecourse this year.

There are a couple of sires who will be looking to play the numbers game, with fast juvenile winners, and lots of them. Horses like Red Clubs, Strategic Prince, Dark Angel and Amadeus Wolf.

And a few that might have a chance of joining the top ranks of sires like Dylan Thomas and Teofilo and even Manduro and Excellent Art.

Looking at the sales statistics, I see that Sir Percy's yearlings for around the same average as Manduro, in spite of his fee being a fraction of Manduro's.

Dylan Thomas's yearlings didn't do well either, in spite of a couple of big tickets.

My tips for the top are Teofilo and Dutch Art and Sir Percy as outsiders for a place at the top table.

Thoughts from the experts on here?

There were loads of SP's on offer at the Sales. I don't think he was getting a great quality of mare but he certaanly got the no.s and they will be early. He was very precocious himself and I think they'll do well as 2yr olds. There were positive vibes surrounding Amadeus, buyers liked them a lot. Jeremys stock look the part too but again his mares pages looked pretty light. There was a very good supplement in last weekends Irish Field with all the sales stats by Sire.

When you say last weekend's Irish Field, do you mean the one that is currently available in the shops? I would like to read that supplement.

Taking what you have said into account, would I be really stupid to have a score on Sir Percy to be top sire by number of winners at 50/1 with Paddy Power?

When you say last weekend's Irish Field, do you mean the one that is currently available in the shops? I would like to read that supplement.

Taking what you have said into account, would I be really stupid to have a score on Sir Percy to be top sire by number of winners at 50/1 with Paddy Power?

Yup, this weeks I should have said.

I don't have the returns , how many foals did Sir P have in his first crop and how many did the others have ? The no.s play a big part. The new Sires from smaller studs tend to run out of ammo. SP for me at 10's .Moss Vale's sold well too. A very interesting bunch of freshmen on paper this year.Cockney Rebel was a favourite fo mine, bound to get some really good 3yr olds.

This might give us an idea of no.s

Freshman Yearlings sold 2010.

Amadaeus Wolf 61
Authorized 49
Baltic King 16
Cockney rebel 23
Dark Angel 60
Dutch art 52
Dylan Thomas 61
Echo of Light 20
Excellent Art 47
Jeremy 31
Lawman 55
Manduro 49
Moss Vale 55
Notnowcato 25
Rail Link 27
Red Clubs 67
Sir Percy 25
Strategic Prince 50
Teofilo 49
Three Valleys 29

PP prices

Red Clubs 4/1

Amadeus Wolf 9/2

Dark Angel 5/1

Dutch Art 11/2

Excellent Art 13/2

Teofilo 8/1

Strategic Prince 10/1

Dylan Thomas 14 /1

Moss Vale 16/1

Authorized 20/1

Three Valleys 20/1

Manduro 25/1

Lawman 25/1

Jeremy 33/1

Sir Percy 50/1

Cockney Rebel 50/1

Notnowcato 50/1

Echo Of Light 50/1

Rail Link 66/1

Last edited:
With two mares going out of production this year, only one stallion decision to be made!

If SONGSHEET foals down OK - and she is now 18 - she'll be walking in to HELLVELYN in Gloucestershire. We did have an EQUIANO nom set aside for her but, being totally commercial, now she's an older mare, her progeny won't make that much any more, so no point in spending unnecessary money on her and I can get her to HELLVELYN for nowt as Paul owns part of the horse! She's a decent mare for him to get as well.

Very, very good looking horse so hopefully Songy will be meeting him in late March, God willing.

:D We seem to have two 'Bloodstock 2011' threads. I was expecting the mods to be their usual efficient selves and amalgamate them but what with the cutbacks, low staff morale etc standards have dropped :)

Zenyatta to be covered by Bernardini (by AP Indy) - champion 1st season sire in the US.

Back