Blue Square and the missing statements

• Thread starter Thread starter solerina
  • Start date Start date
S

solerina

Just been on the phone with Blue Square to avail of the 7-1 still there re: Quevega for the mares race and when the went to authorise my payment turns out I have a balance already ! On investigation looks like it came from Aintree 07 but I've never had a statement to let me know that a balance existed . When I questioned this was told was not BSq practise to send postal statements . However they didn't send an e-mail statement either . Relatively small balance but would have thought that they had a responsibility in some way to notify you either by post -e-mail or magic flaming carpet

Why?

E-mail confirmation of deposits, bet placements and withdrawals do my head in. Statements are a thing of the past, people do not want them sent to their homes. What you punt is you own business and having 34 statements flying through the door ever month is not conducive to a happy relationship[ with he missus. Statements and balances are a click of a mouse away.

I would have thought that if you are using a bookie then you would know there was a + or - balance! Why on earth should they be obliged to tell you? You only need to sign in or ring in to know

I have accounts which I don't use sometimes for months - my Tote account being one in question - and when they keep emailing me to say 'Hey! Here we are - why don't you use your account?' my reaction is: "Why don't you take a running jump and let me make up my own mind where to bet?"

Can understand your point of view re: privacy Gearoid but some of this stuff SHOULD fall under the banking code if it doesn't already . If there is a loophole that allows firms to do this then it should be closed . I've learnt a lesson but when I phoned I was fobbed off with excuses as to why they operate as they do . My point was how was a punter without internet access able to know what their balance was without phoning them . I was told they can't !

I would not chastise any organization for not following the example of the banking code....

Solerina, I look on a bookie account it as a bit like having a bar bill - great if they let you, but caveat emptor - keep your sharp eye on the bottom line... I always know plus or minus within a fiver what my bar bill is in any bar where I've got credit, ditto any betting account LOL

Solerina, I look on a bookie account it as a bit like having a bar bill - great if they let you, but caveat emptor - keep your sharp eye on the bottom line... I always know plus or minus within a fiver what my bar bill is in any bar where I've got credit, ditto any betting account LOL

Have you ever been introduced to the round system?

As in, what goes around, comes around
(while the floor is coming up to meet you??)

DUH sorry! Yes, of course - my local pub operates on rounds, as did all three clubs I belonged to, and the ony pub I drank in, in my London days, ditto the bars in ibiza in my youth - but as I knew the prices off pat (being a daily drinker) I could calculate a round without even using my fingers LOL.

Very much so in the local, as it's always the same faces and they always drink the same thing!

Last edited:
Nice to be in the black and not the red, there are so many firms and they have there own way of doing things. I f the bet had been with Hills, your other half may have spent it on shoes.

Solerina

I feel that, on behalf of Blue Square, I should make some sort of explanation (I work for them, if you didn't know).

However, I can't really be bothered. You are being totally unreasonable. If you have backed a winner without knowing about it then how is anyone other than you responsible?

Most of our customers tick the "no correspondance" box when they open their account, so Blue Square can hardly be blamed for not contacting them. Can you remember if you did this or not?

If you can't access your account online, you can do so over the phone at any time. What's wrong with that? Would you have prefered Blue Square to have someone sent to your front garden to relay your account balance by semaphore?

What has the banking code got to do with a bookmaker anyway?

I revisited my Totesport account recently and found I had £12 in there - and it's been there for months and months. Not a penny of interest had they added either.:mad:

:)

As a result of this i had a look through all my accounts on the off chance that i have some money lying somewhere.

Not a F*ckin penny. :rolleyes:

Anyone affected by the big Blue Square scandal today?

They published a sign-up offer on general release that should've been for a target group. So what did they do, contact the customers and explain they may not qualify for the offer they signed up for?! Nope, they suspended the accounts (after racing) of everyone who signed up for it, then proceeded to take the winnings from any of the bets - fair enough I guess if you're not entitled to the free bet then perhaps you'd expect to have to give it back.....however..

Not content with this, they've taken money back from any winning bets struck with that account! So, you deposit a £100 to place a £100 bet on Punjabi at 22/1 and qualify for the £100 free bet they're offering, Punjabi wins and you're looking forward to collecting, oh no you don't, they've decided you don't qualify for the offer so don't pay out on your first bet either, stake refunds all around.....

I wasn't affected myself but know someone who was, not on Punjabi (fortunately?) but on Quevega as it turns out, £250 they cheered over the line only to have it taken away, not even a stewards enquiry!

Not sure this will end here though, must be lots of poeple in same boat, will be interested to see if it gets any press...

Only a mickey mouse company wouldn't honour that cock up Steve. If the offer was sent out erroneously and was taken up by people, well then that's just their tough luck in my opinion.

I can't actually believe this.. how can they possibly strike off the bet with the original deposit? Surely to god that cannot be right in any way?

Fair enough (I suppose) at retrieving any profits made with the "free bet" part for customers that didn't quality, but to cancel bets as indicated above is just plain wrong IMO.

To be fair to Relkeel, it's probably not his department at all and he shouldn't feel like he has to get involved unless he wants to.

To be fair to Relkeel, it's probably not his department at all and he shouldn't feel like he has to get involved unless he wants to.

Absolutley, and it wasn't the point of using this thread, just thought I'd economise on the number of bookmaker rant threads!

I've seen the standard response they're sending out, grasping at straws it would seem as far as taking back winnings from initial bets goes:

Dear New BS Account Holder

I write with reference to your email of today regarding our Racing UK Cheltenham promotion.

As you didn’t receive the promotional pack and are therefore not a subscriber of Racing UK you are not eligible to take up the offer. As a result your free bet has been removed, in accordance with our account operating rule 13 (listed below).

“13. RIGHT OF REFUSAL
We in our sole discretion, reserve the right to refuse to register you and/or to suspend and/or terminate your registration and/or account at any time and or to refuse to accept any bet or transaction in respect of or in connection with your use of the Betting Services. We shall not be obliged to provide you with any reasons for so doing and shall not be liable to you in any way for any loss or damages that may result from any such action. Furthermore, we reserve the right to refund to you or withhold any payment of monies from or into your account if there is manipulation of our financial system or suspicion or evidence thereof or a breach or suspected breach of any applicable law, regulation or any of these terms, in each case without providing any reason.
Use of any account otherwise than in accordance with these Terms or any other abuse of any account is strictly prohibited.
We reserve the right to withhold free bets and withdraw promotional offers at any time.
We reserve the right to withdraw your use of any of the Betting Services at any time, subject to fulfilment of any outstanding commitments under the Rules.”

I can also confirm that your initial bet placement; used to take up the offer – has also been voided in accordance with our general rule 27 (below).

“27. If any sums are mistakenly credited to your account, through either an error on the part of the Blue Square or yourself, it shall be up to you to point this out. Failure to do so will void any subsequent wins caused by this error, either directly or indirectly. In such an event Blue Square reserves the right to take the necessary action to ensure that both parties are returned to the same position financially as that held immediately prior to the error being made”

When you choose to open an account with ourselves you agree to our terms and conditions and therefore bound by those listed above. The decision to remove the promotion was not taken lightly but as a result of being inundated with new members who hadn’t received the actual mailshot we had not option but to remove.

So whilst I do appreciate your frustrations on this occasion I do hope to choose to accept our decision based on the above. However, should you decide you wish to take this matter further then you are perfectly entitled to refer to the Alderney Gambling Control Commission; by whom we are governed as they will independently arbitrate on these situations.

You can contact them via their website www gamblingcontrol.org or on the following number 01481 825500.

Kind Regards,

How does "sums are mistakenly credited to your account" reflect placing a bet with funds you have deposited?

I really cannot see how they can void any bet you placed in good faith having deposited your own cash for the bet. Anyone who has had a winning bet voided after depositing the cash for the bet really should follow this up.

Back