Borderslescott - what a hero

First post despite lurking around for some considerable time but felt I had to comment on this, absolutely great to see Borderlescott win today particularly as last years Nunthorpe had doubts cast over it with being run at Newmarket.

Congrats to Borderlescott and all his connections

Great for the horse and connections, shame for P. Cosgrove to lose the ride though. I wonder who wanted him off the horse? Funny how it works out with N. Callan getting the ride and beating his own stable's horse who was initially going to run elsewhere I understand hence Callan booked for the winner.

First post despite lurking around for some considerable time but felt I had to comment on this, absolutely great to see Borderlescott win today particularly as last years Nunthorpe had doubts cast over it with being run at Newmarket.

Congrats to Borderlescott and all his connections

Welcome to the forum New Approach...hopefully the first of many posts!!

Delighted to see the horse win, in that he is such a genuine and likeable horse. On the otherhand, for those looking for a new superstar the result is a bit disappointing....think the lack of comment regarding the result on here speaks volumes.

I must admit I would have liked to have seen old Benbaun hang on.

Sorry to not see KINGSGATE NATIVE run closer than that - it would've been fabulous for him to have won again, but BORDERLESCOTT is a powerful and determined animal, and a worthy winner. I'm particularly pleased that the Bastiman family, a low-profile yard, got the kudos today and that, just for once, it wasn't yet another Dandy Nicholls sprinter - much as I like Dandy, it's good to let someone else have a slice of the cake now and then.

Missed it as showing at Dunster but so pleased for BORDERLESCOTT,especially as he's by COMPTON PLACE as I've two colt foals in the field by Compo!! Would agree, though, that we need a really charismatic sprinter to emerge - along the lines of SOBA or LOCHSONG - one that capture's the public's attention somehow.

Agree it would be grand to have a sprint superstar, but then again Borders is no back number either. I think we need to cherish these old guys while we have them. :) Very tough and genuine racehorse.

Benbaun another one so the finish was quite emotional even though i too would have loved to see Kingsgate Native closer. Still, he is young compared to some of these and has a few more years to get there!

I'm not disputing the toughness or genuineness of these sprinters but they're all about 120 at best. Dayjur was something like 134-138 at his peak. He'd have won this year's Nunthorpe by about four lengths, which is a huge distance for a G1 sprint.

Sprinters like Dayjur are very rare. He has the profile to be considered for the best European sprinter of all time. I think in Timeform ratings the only sprinter rated above him is a horse called Abernant who ran in the 1950s and won back to back Nunthorpe's. I always say that he's the greatest flat racehorse that I've seen.

Since Dayjur there's really only been a few really top class European sprinters. Sheikh Albadou won the Breeders Cup Sprint in 1991 and was very good. Lochsong was very fast over 5f on her day. After her you'd have to go to the two Coolmore horses Stravinsky (1999) & Mozart (2001). Stravinsky was incredibly impressive in the July Cup. Oasis Dream is the only other one that I can think of. He came closest to breaking Dayjur's track record in the Nunthorpe. I wish John Gosden had run him in the Breeders Cup Sprint instead of the Mile.

So yeah, great European sprinters are few and far between really.

I really hope so EC1, I just worry we'll never see him again. I hope we do as he needs to prove what a monster he is.

On form, he would have won the Nunthorpe by about 3-4 lengths and that's a conservative estimate.

The trainer said on the tv coverage that with these old horses you sometimes need to try something new to freshen them up; as the choice being, as he put it, blinkers or 'a fresh pair of hands' he wanted to try the latter. I agree; it was great to see him win [a friend in Northumberland told me to watch out for the horse a few years ago, but I've never backed him]. As for Dayjur; although I'm more of a nh fan, I still think he's the most exciting thing I've seen on a racecourse.

Back