Bread

Update on the Bread Machine.
Used virtually every day; make rolls, White and brown/wholemeal which does the kids and my lunches, bread for toast, absolutely gorgeous.
French Bread, Pizza dough.

Best money I've spent in a long time and we haven't bought a shitty additive loaf from a supermarket since we got the machine.

Would 100% recommend ;)

Mine packed up a while ago and I've just bought another one on Ebay - can't wait till it arrives. Have really missed it.

I have done quite a few of the recipes in the booklet including Naan bread which is really good and freezes well. Have also made jam, cakes, rolls etc.

oooooh - that reminds me, Ive got something that you might like Kirsty - are you at Umberleigh on Sat?? I'll try to remember to stick it in the car....

Don't be silly! I shall be watching Ascot - when I have ever been known to miss it for jumping??? Gerald will be there as will Tracy.

Update on the Bread Machine.
Used virtually every day; make rolls, White and brown/wholemeal which does the kids and my lunches, bread for toast, absolutely gorgeous.
French Bread, Pizza dough.

Best money I've spent in a long time and we haven't bought a shitty additive loaf from a supermarket since we got the machine.

Would 100% recommend ;)

Is it cheaper?

Depends. It's cheaper than good bread.

I agree with Shadow Leader that, fully baked through the machine, it doesn't have the right texture. It's fine. It beats a sliced pan hands down, but it ain't right. You get a lot closer if you just make the dough in the machine, shape it, let it rise and bake it in a normal oven, but then you are into extra stages of intervention and your getting to the point that it's nearly as well to go the whole hog and make it from scratch. Problem 2 is that due to the lack of nasty additives, even if you make it the night before, it's past its best for sangers the next day. You can set the timer to have it ready for 6am the next morning but then you have the problm that its warm and hard to cut.

I use the machine, and don't regret buying it, but if I want really good bread I still go to a bakery.

I like all bread pretty much. Not additive bread might taste nicer - but I can't buy a nice loaf on Saturday of one week and still have it doing my sandwiches on Friday of the next.

And it's more expensive - which makes it an occasions only purchase for me.

Depends. It's cheaper than good bread.

I agree with Shadow Leader that, fully baked through the machine, it doesn't have the right texture. It's fine. It beats a sliced pan hands down, but it ain't right. You get a lot closer if you just make the dough in the machine, shape it, let it rise and bake it in a normal oven, but then you are into extra stages of intervention and your getting to the point that it's nearly as well to go the whole hog and make it from scratch. Problem 2 is that due to the lack of nasty additives, even if you make it the night before, it's past its best for sangers the next day. You can set the timer to have it ready for 6am the next morning but then you have the problm that its warm and hard to cut.

I use the machine, and don't regret buying it, but if I want really good bread I still go to a bakery.

That's pretty much what I need to know.
If it had been fine stuff - most important - I'd have asked the wife should she want one.
After that, cheaper would be nice, but, there's no after now.

Also re texture if you omit the dried milk, you get an excellent texture (milk can make it very cakey). Every bit as good if not better than shop bought bread.

Could you not set the timer to have it ready for 4am the next morning?

I'll take that question in the spirit it wasn't intended. You have to take the bread out of the breadmaker fairly soon after it is finished. It holds the heat and continues to produce steam leaving the crust to go prune like, even after it has stopped baking. I think steam is one of the problems causing the dodgy texture. You are partially steaming as you are baking, meaning you never get a lasting crunchy crust. It goes softish by the time the bread is cool enough to cut.

Wife doesn't like breadmaker. It usurps her standing in the household. She likes to make bread from scratch, just not yeast bread.

None of the servants cook bread. The Gardner only eats organic.

I'll take that question in the spirit it wasn't intended. You have to take the bread out of the breadmaker fairly soon after it is finished. It holds the heat and continues to produce steam leaving the crust to go prune like, even after it has stopped baking. I think steam is one of the problems causing the dodgy texture. You are partially steaming as you are baking, meaning you never get a lasting crunchy crust. It goes softish by the time the bread is cool enough to cut.

I usually put the bread into a hot oven in the aga for 5 mins as soon as I've removed it from the machine to get a decent crust.

Back