Buckley resigns from Plantation Stud

Sheikh

At the Start

by Nancy Sexton
From the RP.Sounds a bit mysterious, anyone hear anything ?

KEVIN Buckley, manager of Dermot O'Rourke's Plantation Stud for the past two and a half years, has resigned from his position with immediate effect. No decision has yet been made on his replacement.

Plantation was purchased by O'Rourke, an Irish property developer, from Lord Howard de Walden's family in July 2005 and41-year-old Buckley joined under a year later following a 20-year stint at Coolmore.

Although only at the helm for a relatively short space of time, Buckley oversaw several major developments, notably the acquisition and retirement of Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Araafa to take up stud duties.

While O'Rourke inherited over 50 mares, foals and yearlings from the purchase of Plantation, he is also a regular high end market buyer at many of the breeding stock and yearling sales.

He also recently purchased Silver Springs Stud, a 220-acre property near Paris in Kentucky, with the intention of standing a stallion there in the near future.

I don't know anything about this case but I think its fair to say that most of our multi millionaire builders and property investors will be trimming back their racing and sponsorship interests to some degree.

I don't know anything about this case but I think its fair to say that most of our multi millionaire builders and property investors will be trimming back their racing and sponsorship interests to some degree.

This was not an economic cut back.

I only know him through friends so wouldn't have the full picture but I think he has been disappointed by the purchasing and racing in the UK. He is happy with the Irish trainers as they have delivered winners. I'm not sure if Buckley was involved in this area or not but I'm sure he was looking at the horses they were purchaing.

David Duggan interviewed Dermot O'Rourke at Cork yesterday. Actually, 'interviewed' is not the correct word at all. Shameless plugs from both men about Araafa and his progeny, but not a word about Mr Buckley.

When they went on to speak about O'Rourke's 2yo runners, he did mention in a mild sort of way that to his surprise none of them had yet been seen out but all (ten or so) were due to run in the next couple of weeks. It sounds like he's told the trainers to get a move on.

I backed 2 of his first time out winners this year at massive odds on betfair.The first was one of Arthur Moores at 80 in a bumper on one of the big Leopardstown Sundays.The second was a 3yo first time out in a 4 runner maiden at Newmarket one Friday night -at 55.
I remember thinking he mustn't be in it for the gambling -just happy to see his horses win.Maybe not.

Back