Budgett dead

SteveM

At the Start
I see that Whatcombe trainer Arthur Budgett – who owned and trained two Derby winners – has died at the age of 95.
He was responsible for Blakeney and Morston and was champion Flat trainer in 1969… Great memories!

What a great age and what a great achievement Blakeney and Morston were. I love the fact that the Derby trophy in 2009 was of Budgett with his two half-brother Derby winners as Sea The Stars emulated his own half brother.

Morston was the ultimate example of retiring them to stud as soon as you can. He ran in only two races, the Lingfield Derby Trial and the Derby itself.

I think Morston broke down a couple of months after his Derby win. It was a genuine injury, he certainly wasn't cynically rushed off to stud as soon as Group 1 win obtained (cf Teofilo, Holy Roman Emperor, Dark Angel). Probably a better horse than his half-brother, Blakeney.

Very much a silver spoon, gentleman trainer (Eton and all that), Budgett really didn't need to earn a living from training, stalllion fees - or anything else for that matter - his family were wealthy sugar merchants.

Sorry, I should know better than to rely on memory alone.

He didn't win the Derby Trial at Lingfield, he won a maiden there. After winning the Derby he sprained a tendon in August while being prepared for the Great Voltigeur and the Leger.

It was an era when good horses seemed to race less and less, and there was disappointment that one as good as him was only ever seen twice.

After winning the Derby he sprained a tendon in August while being prepared for the Great Voltigeur and the Leger.

How times have changed; if a trainer announced after winning the Derby he would be sending the horse to the Voltigeur and on to the Leger he would be laughed off the course and possibly sectioned these days!

Very much a silver spoon, gentleman trainer (Eton and all that), Budgett really didn't need to earn a living from training, stalllion fees - or anything else for that matter - his family were wealthy sugar merchants.

"Gentleman" is the appropriate word - he seemed just that whenever I saw him interviewed.

How times have changed; if a trainer announced after winning the Derby he would be sending the horse to the Voltigeur and on to the Leger he would be laughed off the course and possibly sectioned these days!

Sounds like Lady Rothschild's racing manager thinks that should be done to Gosden whose plans for Nathaniel have been swiftly contradicted .

Teenoso of course was following that route in 1983 albeit with a trip to the Curragh in between but suffered a stress fracture in the Voltigeur .

Teenoso of course was following that route in 1983 albeit with a trip to the Curragh in between but suffered a stress fracture in the Voltigeur .

1983 was 28 years ago. Just thought I'd point that out. 28 years ago. How can it be 28 years? The Stone Roses are 25 years old for gods sake!

1983 was 28 years ago. Just thought I'd point that out. 28 years ago. How can it be 28 years? The Stone Roses are 25 years old for gods sake!

you gettin old Simmo;)

wait til you are saying stone roses was 45 years ago..thats the number keeps croppin up for me with stuff i liked as a young un

Tell me about it - I watched loads of racing that summer had lots of time of after my O Levels !

Back