Cagnes-sur-Mervellous! UK raiders

krizon

At the Start
From this month's TB Owner & Breeder mag:

Cagnes-sur-Mer on the French Riviera is preparing for a British invasion. Following the success a year ago of a small raiding party from David Nicholls's Yorkshire yard and with prize money levels still the envy of Europe, demand for stabling at its upcoming six-week Flat meeting has been intense.

Almost £2.8 million will be on offer at the 19 fixtures which start on January 17 to February 26, when the closing day features two Listed races over middle distances.

The lowest first prize during the meeting is £7,000, so it is no surprise that applications for boxes from Britain have been flooding in. John Best, Elaine Burke, Gerard Butler, Gay Kelleway, Michael Magnusson and Nigel Tinkler have all been turned down, but Nicholls will again be taking six horses; Stan Moore will be making his first visit to the track, while Simon Dow and James Bethell, both Cagnes stalwarts of some years standing, have been granted a pair of boxes each.

Bethell's two winners from four runners apart, Nicholls alone mined the riches on offer 12 months ago: from 21 participants he had 4 wins and 6 places. Only one third of his representatives finished out of the money as he plundered over £63,000.

(There's a bit more about travelling there and the awful on-course accommodations from Dandy's secretary Kate Sigsworth.)

Sigsworth attributes some of the success of the visit to using local jockeys and taking their advice. "We had a queue of jockeys to ride work for us and I cannot speak too highly of Ioritz Mendizabal. He ironed out a language problem we had following a claiming race and would help wash down the horses after they'd worked. How many champion jockeys do you know who would do that?"

And if Cagnes would build some more boxes, we might see more British horses snapping up prize money that shames their home country.

Deauville...

There's also the all-weather track at Deauville which presumably has some decent prize money.

I have to say that while Cagnes will be a draw for some, the presence of Meydan has done much to dilute the quality of the winter Flat racing in the UK. With handicaps of £60k on offer at most meetings, I can understand connectionsd wanting to take a chance there rather than racing for £6k round Kempton.

...indeed. It can only mean a growing trend of those taking advantage of this disparity.

Last edited:
Never mind Cagnes-Sur-Mer, there are any number of racecourses in northern France, especially Normandy, where you can run moderate horses for prizemoney several times greater than in the UK.

For the life of me, I can't understand why southern-based trainers and owners don't take more advantage of the opportunities on offer there. A much better course of action than bleating about owners' strikes or racecourse boycotts.

Last edited:
Racing for £6k around Kempton??? That doesn't happen very often any more Stodge! The last couple of days, a lot of the races were worth £1200 to the winner! The most valuable race on one of the last two days' cards was worth £2500 to the winner. Can't remember which day, only took the time to do it for one of them, it's becoming standard now.

Last edited:
Ven, would it perhaps not be for the reason they can't all run willy-nilly at Cagnes or in Dubai? In Dubai, I believe you have to be rated fairly high and also invited, while in France there seems to be a cut-off point predicated on the number of looseboxes available. It isn't just a question of entering-up.

Kri, the real reason is stupidity.

Tomorrow, at Deauville, only a few kilometres from the ferry port at Ouistreham, there is an 8-race programme taking place on the all-weather.

The prize fund for the day's entertainment amounts to 216,000 Euros. Three of the races are claimers, the least valuable having a 15,000 Euros prize fund. Why go around Lingfield or Kempton for a fifth of that?

When I worked for Charlie Nelson back in the late 80s he used to take several horses (including Gorgeous Strike & Rock Chanteur) down to Cagnes sur Mere and stay there himself for 6 weeks (various friends used to join him - I seem to remember some pretty racous stories coming back involving the Hills twins!). One of his owners, Mrs Yarnold lived in Monaco and liked to see her horses race - as she was in her 80s it made sense to run them there over the winter.
I never went but did visit the course whilst on holiday.

I will endeavour to ask as many trainers as possible why they shove the ponies round the synthetics in the UK when the prize money - even after deductions for further travel and accommodations - is so much better in France. It'll be interesting to hear the reasons.

Back