Calling our Welsh friends

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Happy St David's Day :)

Just as a matter of curiosity, how big a deal is today for you?

Growing up here in Scotland, St Andrew's Day wasn't that big a deal so I suppose if there's one thing the Scottish parliament has done is to raise the day's profile, so much so that it is now a public holiday.

Much is made of St Patrick's Day when it coincides with Cheltenham but is it a big deal in Ireland?

It was quite a big deal in the circles in which I mixed when I was younger but the High School was named after him and we always sang the hymn in his honour (we did the same on St Andrew's day) on the day. I suppose being descended from Irish immigrants, as many in our area are/were, had a part to play in that.

Just curious.

Diolch, DO.

Still celebrated in schools, the younger girls get dressed up in traditional clothing of flannel skirt with white lace-edged apron, white blouses, woollen shawl, white lace- edged skull-cap and either a tall felt hat or a bonnet. Schools hold a St. David's Day concert and in times past were awarded a half-day holiday, not sure theses days.

Not a great deal of celebration as far as adults are concerned, perhaps a themed meal and night- out but not a lot more than that, as far as I know.

Still celebrated in schools, the younger girls get dressed up in traditional clothing of flannel skirt with white lace-edged apron, white blouses, woollen shawl, white lace- edged skull-cap and either a tall felt hat or a bonnet. Schools hold a St. David's Day concert and in times past were awarded a half-day holiday, not sure theses days.

I certainly don't have any recollection of anything like that happening for St Andrew's Day up here as a kid. Sounds like a lot of fun for the children (and why not!)

Mind you, with this tartan-teuchter parliament we have up here it might not be too long before we do have it.

It's a great shame that there seems to be a growing call for we English to celebrate St. George's Day with flag-waving pomp, circumstance, public holiday and p1ss-up rather than let that day sometime in late April slip by largely unnoticed as it has always been heretofore

I was born in England and live in England: so what? I don't care and I'm sure no one else cares either

Last edited:
Saint George never had any connection to England. St Andrew's relics are reputed to have helped the Picts and Scoti win a battle against the Angles. At least Saint Patrick set foot in Ireland, but Saint David is the only one of the four to have been born and raised in the country of which he is patron. Enjoy the day, Welsh forumites.

It's a great shame that there seems to be a growing call for we English to celebrate St. George's Day with flag-waving pomp, circumstance, public holiday and p1ss-up rather than let that day sometime in late April slip by largely unnoticed as it has always been heretofore

I was born in England and live in England: so what? I don't care and I'm sure no one else cares either

not that I've noticed drone. Stupid idea anyway

two of the most boring things imaginable combined. Insecurity driven flag waving combined with a so called **** up

Back