Car Insurance

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Has anyone renewed their car insurance lately?

I'm trying to renew mine, Mrs O's and Orchidette's.

Last year, Orchidette's was a fair bit cheaper than ours so I thought I'd start with hers this year. I'm absolutely gobsmacked at how much more expensive it is considering she's another year older (she's now 36) and more experienced and with no accidents etc.and only does about 3000 miles per annum, if that.

I'm trying to build myself up into breaking the news to Mrs O that we'll probably have to give up one of our own cars because the insurance is probably going to be prohibitive. and we each do less than 6000mpa.

Is anyone finding anything different?

No, just the same. We insure our two cars together and went up from £860 to £1120. They matched a lower quote I got, but still finished up a bit over £1000.

Yes, we went a few years with a multi-car policy but last year that was working out a lot dearer than going separately.

Curiously, last year Orchidette's was cheaper than mine but Mrs O's was by far the cheapest of the lot. Maybe I should get a gender realignment :blink: After all, I'm forever being called a fanny.

Last edited:
My renewal with DirectLine about a month ago was ridiculous, and they flatly refused to even discuss. Went to Sainsbury's and got it for significantly less than last year. I'm guessing they'll knock it up next year, but we'll see. Anyway, got a year at a sensible price.

We were with Direct Line Select for years, car and home insurance, and they were very competitive for what they offered. Then for some reason about six or seven years ago they suddenly hiked their premiums exponentially, way beyond the dearest of competitors - and this was without our making any claims!

I'm with Direct Line and my insurance is cheaper than my brothers who's with churchill.
I've just had my renewal come through and after reading this I thought I'd check the price.
I'm shocked.a 33% rise from £240 to £322.

Think I'm going to have to try somewhere else.

Don’t forget if you go through somewhere like top cashback you’ll get some money back on a new policy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on confused. Com and the prices range from £179 to £1,158
Acorn insurance £1158 ffs

Mine was £188 last year with M&S. Its due for renewal in August so no doubt I will be shopping around again if they try the annual hike.

Don’t forget if you go through somewhere like top cashback you’ll get some money back on a new policy :)

Not necessarily! Make sure you jump through all their hoops before they even consider giving you what they're supposed to.

The only “hoop” I’ve ever jumped through was the link on the top cash back website - not sure what you’ve been doing [emoji23][emoji23]

The only “hoop” I’ve ever jumped through was the link on the top cash back website - not sure what you’ve been doing [emoji23][emoji23]

nor me T.....

TopCashback

Hi there,

Just to let you know that your support ticket Help- declined- no option to lodge claim has been updated.

Maybe you’ve had it before? Who knows. I’ve never had an issue when I’ve applied ( but I’ve not done it for ages!)

I'm just saying so everyone's aware that it's not as straightforward as it might appear (but pleased it worked for you).

Last edited:
There are lots of cash back sites as well these days - if I’m honest, I’m too lazy to shop around too much, but the money saving expert website has the right way to get your quotes to make sure you’re getting the best deal

... but the money saving expert website has the right way to get your quotes to make sure you’re getting the best deal

I'm not unappreciative of your input, T. I do fully accept that you;re being helpful but I started my searches today with MSE and found the cheapest to be over £100 dearer than other comparison sites.

It's made me wonder if Martin Lewis is to be fully trusted.

Appreciate your thread DO & your input DO & trudij. Hopefully a few of us will benefit (financially) from them:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm not unappreciative of your input, T. I do fully accept that you;re being helpful but I started my searches today with MSE and found the cheapest to be over £100 dearer than other comparison sites.

It's made me wonder if Martin Lewis is to be fully trusted.

The idea is that you check all of the comparison sites and then check the ones who aren’t on them, so there shouldn’t be any way that can happen?

2d65d1123156e70de1047d31a03d8db3.jpg

4fa9b2e2b2c14feae0240a5a78b0fb58.jpg

160b3b4c6db1b1267e7c31bdfe0109c2.jpg

42dd15c6a6b414bd02e9b650073f71aa.jpg

Mine last year was with Esure, who came in lot cheaper thn renewal quote from Hastings at £145.. This year - due to renew Tuesday next week - they are quoting £256 for a car now 14 years old and me who's not young and not made any claims for over 30 years. I compared the market , loads came up a lot cheaper. Cheapest was Bank of Scotland at £149.00 so guess where I am going? Couldn't email Esure, ages hanging on the phone to say don't renew, didn't bother to ask me why not, or try and negoitate, just said okay when I said wanted an email to confirm they will not try and take the money to renew it. Yes she said then hung up. No goodbye or anything. I received an email from their 'customer services' didn't mention the fact that I had cancelled just that I had x days to renew. I've contacted my bank to make sure they don't take the payment. Anyone thinking of Esure , go somewhere else, they obviously don't need your business.

Yes, what I meant was the site appears to link directly to Moneysupermarket but some people will almost certainly assume that the link represents [probably] the best prices going, which is clearly not the case.

I went through Compare The Market, Go Compare and Confused and have a couple more to check before I decide.

Just got a new insurance for half of what direct line quoted.
Just told direct line,why do they have people who I cant understand.but tbh I heard my voice on an answering machine once so I dont expect they can understand me.
Now with Aviva

Mine last year was with Esure, who came in lot cheaper thn renewal quote from Hastings at £145.. This year - due to renew Tuesday next week - they are quoting £256 for a car now 14 years old and me who's not young and not made any claims for over 30 years. I compared the market , loads came up a lot cheaper. Cheapest was Bank of Scotland at £149.00 so guess where I am going? Couldn't email Esure, ages hanging on the phone to say don't renew, didn't bother to ask me why not, or try and negoitate, just said okay when I said wanted an email to confirm they will not try and take the money to renew it. Yes she said then hung up. No goodbye or anything. I received an email from their 'customer services' didn't mention the fact that I had cancelled just that I had x days to renew. I've contacted my bank to make sure they don't take the payment. Anyone thinking of Esure , go somewhere else, they obviously don't need your business.

Actually got it for £140 with Bank Of Scotland, so less than last year. Every penny and all that.

Back