3yo colt: Sea The Stars
Older horse: Goldikova
2yo colt: St Nicholas Abbey
2yo filly: Special Duty
3yo filly: Sariska
Stayer: Yeats
Sprinter: Fleeting Spirit
Award of Merit: John Oxx

Would say the 3yo Filly is a three horse race - Sariska (2 G1's), Ghanaati (2 G1's) and Stacelita (3 G1's). Personally I don't think any of those are the best 3yo filly running in Europe this year but they've achieved the most :)

Midday deserves plenty of praise - the only one of those four that wasn't cooked before October.

I might have gone for Midday as well - I don't think there was one 3 year old filly who stood out above the others.

Horse of the year and 2 year old were probably the easiest categories to decide.

Yeat as best stayer?! He won 1 of 4 starts, and wasn't close to winning the other 3. By all means give him a lifetime award or some equivalent (very much deserved) but his performances on the track this year do not mark him down as the outstanding stayer of 2009. Surely this should have gone to Alandi? A poor sentimental choice.

Last edited:
Sariska held her form and condition into the Champion Stakes, it was the fact that the trip in the conditions placed an insufficient emphasis on stamina for her to prove it.

Sariska held her form and condition into the Champion Stakes, it was the fact that the trip in the conditions placed an insufficient emphasis on stamina for her to prove it.

Even as it was she was a little unlucky in that, being left at the start and made her way diagonally through the field to the opposite side. She was always closing them down.

May have been stamina but she also missed the break quite badly and was ridden from slightly off the pace which may have made the difference.

Yeat as best stayer?! He won 1 of 4 starts, and wasn't close to winning the other 3. By all means give him a lifetime award or some equivalent (very much deserved) but his performances on the track this year do not mark him down as the outstanding stayer of 2009. Surely this should have gone to Alandi? A poor sentimental choice.

Yeats's Gold Cup performance was a long way superior to anything Alandi did in a bog at The Curragh or at Longchamp.

Yeats's Gold Cup performance was a long way superior to anything Alandi did in a bog at The Curragh or at Longchamp.

I voted for Yeats... it would have taken a heart of stone not to. It should have been Septimus's year though... I will never easily forgive them for forcing him into the Aussie handicap, which ruined him.

Back