CASPIAN CAVIAR GOLD CUP 13 December

The other reason for sponsors being less keen is that marketing has become more and more about digital - pay per click, affiliates etc. The ROI of sponsoring events is less measurable, and frankly lower than other methods. Furthermore one of the reasons for sponsoring things was to give your good clients a jolly, but in many industries (notably financial services) the rules on corporate hospitality have been tightened substantially, which takes away that reason for sponsoring. So what you have is new companies sponsoring for a year or two to build brand awareness and then buggering off because they can no longer justify the expenditure.

No idea who Caspian are but good luck to them. Any business wanting to put money into the sport is alright by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not many weeks ago Euro were saying how he preferred lower class races for betting in..now he's got a lower class of this..he complaining..heads spinning here with the contradictions

That was on the flat though EC. In the summer I'm probably only 10% interested in the sport, it's all betting for me. The jumps it's more like 50/50

The other reason for sponsors being less keen is that marketing has become more and more about digital - pay per click, affiliates etc. The ROI of sponsoring events is less measurable, and frankly lower than other methods. Furthermore one of the reasons for sponsoring things was to give your good clients a jolly, but in many industries (notably financial services) the rules on corporate hospitality have been tightened substantially, which takes away that reason for sponsoring. So what you have is new companies sponsoring for a year or two to build brand awareness and then buggering off because they can no longer justify the expenditure.

No idea who Caspian are but good luck to them. Any business wanting to put money into the sport is alright by me.

But the bottom line is they're just tarting so they won't get me to call the race by their name. As far as I'm concerned they're just pimping the Massey-Ferguson whereas fans of an even older generation [than me] probably refer to it by its original unsponsored name (which I couldn't tell you). Tripleprint (George Ward was the owner, iirc) did sponsor it for a few years and I was just getting used to calling it by that name when they pulled out. I still remember the name of the company and maybe even the owner but none of the others.

As for the corporate hospitality thing, for me [since I don't get freebies] nothing will beat the day out I had at Haydock (as a phone account holder) back in the day when they sponsored the Sprint Cup.
1. Car park space and chitty (not required as it turned out)
2. bucks fizz reception
3. Racing Post
4. Timeform card.
5. Guest speaker (Willie Carson - tipped 4 winners - did I listen?)
6. four-course silver-service lunch with unlimited wine
7. afternoon tea (unlimited to all intents and purposes)
8. Private bar facilities (didn't need them with all that wine!)
9. Private betting facilities.

All for £17.50.

Yes, you read that correctly.

But the bottom line is they're just tarting so they won't get me to call the race by their name. As far as I'm concerned they're just pimping the Massey-Ferguson whereas fans of an even older generation [than me] probably refer to it by its original unsponsored name (which I couldn't tell you). Tripleprint (George Ward was the owner, iirc) did sponsor it for a few years and I was just getting used to calling it by that name when they pulled out. I still remember the name of the company and maybe even the owner but none of the others.

As for the corporate hospitality thing, for me [since I don't get freebies] nothing will beat the day out I had at Haydock (as a phone account holder) back in the day when they sponsored the Sprint Cup.
1. Car park space and chitty (not required as it turned out)
2. bucks fizz reception
3. Racing Post
4. Timeform card.
5. Guest speaker (Willie Carson - tipped 4 winners - did I listen?)
6. four-course silver-service lunch with unlimited wine
7. afternoon tea (unlimited to all intents and purposes)
8. Private bar facilities (didn't need them with all that wine!)
9. Private betting facilities.

All for £17.50.

Yes, you read that correctly.

i did think that was a bargain..until i read this bit

5. Guest speaker Willie Carson

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I thought when I was there. He was his usual cackling self but his tips kept flying in!

I see Ladbrokes are taking no chances in this race. They are shortest or joint-shortest about the first six in the betting - in a race in which only one favourite has won in the last 10 years.

By the way, I backed Barrakilla (7/1) last night.

Last edited:
after all my looking at this the only two left after removing horses for a variety of trends and form factors//are the first two favourites..same as you DO...of the two i think Barrakila will lack the experience for this so have a few bob on the one that will relish it Caid Du Berlais

i think there is a bit of pace here with possibly splash/easter/nobuts not too far from the front..which should help Caid

I'm exactly the same. This should be between the front two. I'm worried about the pace for Caid du Berlais as I said elsewhere so I've backed Barakilla to win and done a Caid du Berlaid/Barakilla straight forecast.

I'd also add that I have Ericht and Splash of Ginge as good each way value.

Barkilla is reckoned to improve today, and is 10lb better in with No Buts. However, NB has already improved 12lb (RPR) since then, and is likely to find more for today's stiffer test.

Weird race. Brilliant ride by Coleman. I really thought Frankie was an Ascot horse and maybe one of the fallers would have chinned him, who knows. I was never happy with Barrakilla in the last mile (jumped brilliantly on the first circuit) and he might be a 3-miler.

Never saw that coming and reckoned Frankie an ascot horse too. Brilliant forcing ride by Coleman

All ifs and buts I know, but would have been interesting to see how Splash would have finished his race off.

great input

shall i start one on people's boring..to me... ante post cheltenham bets maybe?..oh no i don't need to..difference is i don't post negative comments on that one

thats what i don't understand..i don't post on threads i've no interest in..odd doing so imo

Last edited:
Just critiquing a race with a strong past and a weak present. You shouldn't take it personally because you opened it.

Cheltenham need to have a look at it.

come onEuro..two of main horses fell Euro..it diluted the race by some way..if they had stood we might have seen some excitement at the end

it was still the highlight race of the weekend..well one we could chew cud over..and i think we should have one of those at a weekend

not every weekend has really good fare..it will get better

oh dear..was it really worth backing some one up about Granger eh?

i didn't put a thread up to validate a race..i put it up so we could try and find the winner

i don't give a rats ass whether its as good as the 1965 edition personally..is that what we do now?..put races up for discussion then just spend time going on about....ooh its not like when i were a lad

Last edited:
EC1, no-one is suggesting it wasn't a competitive handicap. It was a race of some interest, in that it provided a good puzzle - one of the bingers hacking-up, rather proving that point - but it's perfectly legitimate to malign it for the poor renewal that it was.

What else are we supposed to do? Allow more historically great handicaps to recede in terms of quality, and celebrate that fact, because at least there's 24-runners and the weight-spread is only 11lbs?

It's right that we express disappointment when races like the Tripleprint can no longer attract animals pushing the 160 bracket - a state of affairs that is almost certainly down to the proliferation of un-necessary Graded races in the same part of the calendar. If we're not careful, all of our best handicaps will eventually have either a standard top-weight rated 145, or - God forbid - be totally emasculated like the Victor Chandler.

Stop taking every response like it's a personal attack on you. Just because you were the OP, does not mean Euro is having a dig when he says it is "the worst race ever to have a thread dedicated to it". He's probably wrong (I'm sure we'd find others if anyone could be ar*sed to look).........but he isn't far wrong. However, that's no reason for you to think he has you tagged as a time-waster/muppet, just because you started it.

I dunno why you take these things so negatively at times. It should be bleeding' obvious that everyone on here loves you to bits - even reet! :<3: :lol:

Last edited:
Niceonefrankie might have been 16/1 but he was hardly a 'binger'. (I was brought up understanding a 'binger' was a beaten-out-of-the-frame loser, but that's by the by.)

He had a proper shout on his run this season as ascot and in the same race last season [at Ascot]. Those runs and disappointments elsewhere led me to mark him down as an Ascot horse. In fact, if he ran to last season's Ascot win he was entitled to be a (slightly) better than average winner. It was just one of those races in which a number of well-fancied horses didn't get round - a bit like most Grand Nationals - but it still took a good performance to win it, and I'd reiterate that it was an outstanding ride by Coleman who does seem able to steal ground from the front without his opponents apparently noticing.

I also reckon if there's any middle-distance 170 horses in any yard sitting on an OR of 160 in years to come you'll see it in this race.

Back