Champions Day

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Looking forward to this and as ever it's looking like it'll be deep ground.

Long Distance:
I kind of think Kyprios might be vulnerable here, will he definitely run? There could be some each way value to be had and I don't understand why Caius Chorister is the total rag. She's a total boat and 2m on this sort of ground will suit her - she ran Sweet William close on soft ground in the Henry II so that alone indicates she's overpriced here.

Sprint:
Lottery that oftentimes falls to outsiders. I've got a little on Beauvatier at around 25 on the machine, he ran a stormer in the Foret.

Fillies and Mares:
I've got a rollover going onto Kalpana and a little on Tiffany at double figures on Betfair. I should collect here surely?

QEII:
Can't oppose Charyn who imo is the best older horse in training.

Champion Stakes:
Looks a two horse race and I'd favour Calandagan.

Balmoral:
I'd give Akkadian Thunder another chance if he runs. He goes on soft and may have been stopped by a bad draw the last day.

It’s time to abandon the Ascot experiment, it hasn’t worked, and move the whole thing back to a weekend at Newmarket with the juvenile and other top autumn races brought back into it.

Completely agree. It’s supposed to be Champions Day but it’s just a farce with only those that are suited to a bog excell.

I admit to growing crankier by the day, but trying to summon a modicum of interest for flat races run on deep muck near the end of October has proved beyond me.

Ive been saying for ages Champions Day needs to be moved

Should be 3rd or 4th Saturday in September where it was before when they ran the QEII

City Of Troy may well have showed up as well if it was in late September

Aye, Al.

One component of the jumps starting up is I look forward to forumites like your good self getting involved on here again.

Any chance you can get your old mucker Grasshopper back aswell? This forum will struggle without input from guys like him.

You can tell I miss him dearly, and the good news is, the American election should be done and dusted in good time before the Cheltenham Festival starts, so Grassy can focus on Talking Horses, not having to put up with all the political shite he finds hard to put up with.

Last edited:
Yeah not strictly true. A very few horses will excel in hock deep ground but most Flat horses especially will struggle. That’s why you often get huge winning margins at this time of year but the winner invariably does not back it up at any other time.

I like to see Championship races run on the best ground available which all horses can cope with...Good ground. Not too quick that horses won’t let themselves down and not too deep, that they can’t get their feet out.

Was actually tongue in cheek but clearly wasted. Given how I finished my career...!

Yes the rest is self explanatory re the ground.
That said, bar Ace Impact there hasn't been much good in the ground in the Arc in the last 6 years.

Is mud the norm for flat races? Not really since most races and judgement of those horses is made on Good or better ground in the summer months. People say let mud horses have their day, some say let firm ground horses have their day. The thing is, like Frankel says the best will win when the ground is against them, but they don't win the same, Frankel did not achieve his best performance on slow ground in that last race, but still won.

Ground conditions are what makes this game a challenge. Just study the horse and when it didn't like it, use that to your advantage. You can do no more. Many trainers need a horse to run a few times before they cotton on to their favoured conditions, but also have a jockey tell them from gallop runs what they think.

As a punter I like to look at how a horse performs when short in the betting on certain goings. Obviously horses get beat on ground they like by a better horse, but see a horse who is favourite just once on an extreme of ground, then loses, does give you a tell.

Three at a price. Bad ground. There could be a turn up in the Champion.
Continuous at 50s + Nashwa at 66s are too big a price imo. Conditions won't bother them.
Balmoral. I've had my eye on Padishakh for this for a while now. 40/1.

Back